On a trip to Vermont from Canada. What beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauvafr

Reaction score
I don't go often to the USAS and here in Quebec there are near zero beer from uncle Sam country that are available (I am speaking only for craft beer indeed). I am relatively new to craft beer tasting / homebrewing and I think i'm slowly becoming what you guys calls an 'hophead'. Apart from IPA, I also like RYEPAS, saisons and stout.

I plan on driving to Vermont in october and I'm wondering what are the mandatory stuff for a guy like me.

- What beer I should taste
- What beer I should bring back

Thanks in advance for your tips.

Cheers!

Pretty easy. It's made by a small brewery named the alchemist. In Waterbury. It took my wife about four stops to find it to bring home. But she was able to get it with dinner at all of the restaurants she went to.

@Nervous Loool!

Hill Farmstead Brewery was already on top of my list. Where near this place can I buy Heady topper?

beauvafr:
I envy you. It's been two years since I visited Vermont. I have good memories of the beer culture.
You have to visit Long Trail Brewing. Doublebag=MMMM goood.
And Burlington is a fine, fine beer town with several craft brewers. If you're near there, explore.
Vermont supposedly has the highest # of craft breweries per capita in the nation. Someone should organize a 'Beer tour of Vermont'. I'd definitely sign up.

Hey there! Fellow VT'er here. You're in luck - there's tons of great breweries here in vermont.

I'd recommend hill farmstead, and on your way back go through morrisville and hit up Rock Art (they just released a bourbon barrel aged barleywine). Keep driving on that road and, besides the beautiful scenery right now, you'll go through stowe and eventually find yourself in Waterbury (home of Heady Topper). It's worth a stop to the brewery, which typically will have heady for sale monday - thursday..friday is spotty...saturday is almost always a no go. Even if they don't have any for sale, you can grab a sample of it and take a look at the brewery. Go into Waterbury "downtown" ... this is where you can try all of the great VT beers. Blackback Pub and the Reservoir are my two favorite stops, but you can't go wrong with prohibition pig (old alchemist brewery building) either. All three are 6-9 bucks a pint, but you can try (on most days) at least 3 from hill farmstead, 2-3 from Lawson's finest liquids (another great vt brewer), and other locals from the state. If you're looking to bring home Lawsons beer..look for it at the Warren Store, Beverage Warehouse in winooski.
If you're heading to Burlington, try flatbread (home of zero gravity brewing), and certainly get out to Fiddlehead to try their (single) IPA as well as their other great beer! It's in Shelburne (about 25 minute drive from downtown Burlington down route 7 towards middlebury). It's also across from a Winery. If you're feeling more adventurous head to Bobcat cafe and brewery in Bristol...good beers to be had there. In downtown burlington you can hit up the farmhouse tap and grille (located inside an old mcdonalds, just off church street ... 6-9 bucks a pint). Keep driving into Winooski and hit up Mule Bar ($6-9). Then drive up to St. Albans and stop by 14th Star Brewing (open thurs night, friday night, and sunday morning). they have some decent offerings.

If you're looking for any other suggestions - feel free to hit up me with a message.

Hey there! Fellow VT'er here. You're in luck - there's tons of great breweries here in vermont.

I'd recommend hill farmstead, and on your way back go through morrisville and hit up Rock Art (they just released a bourbon barrel aged barleywine). Keep driving on that road and, besides the beautiful scenery right now, you'll go through stowe and eventually find yourself in Waterbury (home of Heady Topper). It's worth a stop to the brewery, which typically will have heady for sale monday - thursday..friday is spotty...saturday is almost always a no go. Even if they don't have any for sale, you can grab a sample of it and take a look at the brewery. Go into Waterbury "downtown" ... this is where you can try all of the great VT beers. Blackback Pub and the Reservoir are my two favorite stops, but you can't go wrong with prohibition pig (old alchemist brewery building) either. All three are 6-9 bucks a pint, but you can try (on most days) at least 3 from hill farmstead, 2-3 from Lawson's finest liquids (another great vt brewer), and other locals from the state. If you're looking to bring home Lawsons beer..look for it at the Warren Store, Beverage Warehouse in winooski.
If you're heading to Burlington, try flatbread (home of zero gravity brewing), and certainly get out to Fiddlehead to try their (single) IPA as well as their other great beer! It's in Shelburne (about 25 minute drive from downtown Burlington down route 7 towards middlebury). It's also across from a Winery. If you're feeling more adventurous head to Bobcat cafe and brewery in Bristol...good beers to be had there. In downtown burlington you can hit up the farmhouse tap and grille (located inside an old mcdonalds, just off church street ... 6-9 bucks a pint). Keep driving into Winooski and hit up Mule Bar ($6-9). Then drive up to St. Albans and stop by 14th Star Brewing (open thurs night, friday night, and sunday morning). they have some decent offerings.

If you're looking for any other suggestions - feel free to hit up me with a message.

I loved American Flatbread/Zero Gravity. Great food and great beer! They had a nice California Commons when I was there last summer. By the way...why no love for Magic Hat?

On a side note, what is the name of that liquor store in Burrlington not far from Church St. Was it Vermont Liquor and Beverage (or something like that)? OP, they had a nice selection of beers from across the U.S. and a growler bar.

Back