Omegang vs Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dracus

Reaction score
I'm hoping some of the more experienced brewers can give me some feedback. I recently brewed a clone of omegangs red label beer (recipe below) inspired from Beer Captured. I really love the original and now that I have one batch done. I'm looking to make it even closer to the original.

I brewed this October 11th, let it ferment at ambient 65 and likely fermenter temp about 71-72. I let it ferment for 3 weeks and racked. I did make a 2liter starter for the yeast. The fermention was VIOLENT to say the least.

Tonight, I decided to do a "taste test" between the original and the clone.

Here is what I discovered.

The color and nose were right on with each other. The taste of the clone was VERY similar to the original with the exception that I had way more estery/fruity overtones in mine. The omegang did have these flavors but far more subdued. When compared to the original mine is way too fruity almost over the top.

I do really like beer a lot. So far everyone who's tasted it has liked it. I'm sure if I were to give it one to someone fond of Belgium style beers they'd like it.

Just trying to figure out how much these esters will mellow with additional time. So the basic question going forward, is whether the brew recipe is sound. I could obviously use a different yeast. Recipe called for forbidden fruit yeast which I have not used before. I also could likely get less esters if I fermented a bit lower temp wise. Although from what I've read belgiums ferment warmer.

Any thoughts or feedback?

-------------------------------------------------------------
Recipe: ommegang clone
Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.08 gal
Estimated OG: 1.091 SG
Estimated Color: 15.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 13.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.00 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 87.02 %
0.50 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3.63 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.63 %
0.16 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.16 %
0.13 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 0.94 %
2.00 oz Styrian Goldings [3.50 %] (60 min) Hops 13.2 IBU
0.25 oz Saaz [5.80 %] (15 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.25 oz Saaz [5.80 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.50 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 3.63 %
1 Pkgs Forbidden Fruit (Wyeast Labs #3463)

Didn't see how long it was bottled before you tested it, the flavors will subside somewhat with age.

It'll still mellow but not much in the short term. I don't have enough experience with this style, or this yeast to give a suggestion, don't remember Omegang either, maybe someone else can help.

I used Forbidden Fruit in a Grand Cru once its not my favorite. The flavor is pretty distinctive and more phenolic than estery. Cooler fermentation may get you there, but I would suggest using another yeast strain.

Cheers,
Glenn

Latest posts

Back