Oldest vial used to make a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer Gerard

Reaction score
Whats the oldest vial you've used to make a starter? I've built starters off out of date ones before but, i have a particularly old one in the fridge at the mo and am wondering what are the chances of reviving it?

The oldest I've used so far was 6 months old, WLP007 on a double ipa and that turned out successful. I've heard of people doing over a year old. Just make a small lower gravity starter (about 1.020) and step it up. How old is your vial?

My lhbs had a large box of out of date vials from White Labs and said I could take what I wanted. Some wouldn't kick off at all, but some were a year out of date and they worked great.

A couple weeks ago I tried to revive two vials of Chico that were 2+ years old. Pitched into a 1.050 starter they showed very little signs of life after two days and were dumped out.

A couple weeks ago I tried to revive two vials of Chico that were 2+ years old. Pitched into a 1.050 starter they showed very little signs of life after two days and were dumped out.

If you try this again do a step starter with the first step being about 250 ml of 1.020 - 1.025 wort.

1.050 is high even for a normal starter with a brand new vial!

Cheers for responses. I had a vial of wlp833 that was sitting in the fridge about 8 months beyond expiry. It's been on the stir plate for over 24 hours now and not a budge thus far. I made a 1.040 starter. I'd be amazed if i got nothing at all:(

It will go eventually. That is why Wyeast packs are better. You pop it in a sterile environment and it's like a small starter step, then it may take a few days to swell before making an actual starter. I am using 18 month old Wyeast pack on my next lager, 2 steps (pop and then 2L starter over the course of 1.5 weeks).

never used wyeast, what yer sayin makes sense though. Took off in the end bout 12 am last night. Lower viability => longer lag phase. Great that the product can be stored for that long!

This reminded me that I had a Wyeast 3068 in the fridge... dug it out and its from Dec 2011. Just popped it and I'll see what happens. If the pack looks viable and I get a good starter going, I'll step it up a few times and make a Dunkelweizen next week.

Back