Older Extract Kit, can it still be used?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldenfoon

Reaction score
I have an extract beer kit that I have had for quite sometime, according to the receipt I purchased the kit on 7/13/2012. No need to bore you all why I couldn't get to brewing this kit but I was hoping that all is not lost.

The hops, 1oz sealed packages, and the liquid yeast were kept in the fridge the whole time. There is a jug of LME and a small sealed bag of DME along with some crushed steeping grains which were all stored in a box in a dry basement, which usually stayed somewhere in the 60-70 degree temperature range.

So anyone know how this much storage time would have an effect on the quality of the beer it would make?

Thanks.

Check the date on the yeast. You might need new yeast but everything else should be fine. The only other thing might be the crushed grain, smell it and if it smells ok use it.

The LME will be a bit darker in the finished beer as well. I've rehydrated yeasts older than that & had them work just fine.

i did an old kit (2 years plus). I made a starter to get the yeast cell count up but the beer came out great. It will be fine as long as you can grow the yeast to a pitchable amount.

I am actually finishing 4 kits from NB that I have stored unrefrigerated for 1.5 years! I wasn't sure they would be viable but so far the 3 that I have made this year have actually been very good to great. Yeast has been active, flavors/colors are crisp and rich. You should be fine with your kit!

I am actually finishing 4 kits from NB that I have stored unrefrigerated for 1.5 years! I wasn't sure they would be viable but so far the 3 that I have made this year have actually been very good to great. Yeast has been active, flavors/colors are crisp and rich. You should be fine with your kit!

Good to know, the kit I have is from NB. The yeast was slow to activate so I decided that I will just run out and buy a fresh pouch, however I am going to use the rest of the ingredients.

:mug:

Back