Old WLP830 German Lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwing7486

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Looking for some help as I am going to brew a Munich helles this weekend and my two packets of wlp830 are pretty old, one mfg date is December 19th and the other is January 8th. Both have a "best by date" of June 17th and July 7th. With that said when I went to Mr malty and plugged in a sg of 1.048 for a lager stir plate and it says I need 12 vials for a 1.87 liter starter. Is there any hope to use this yeast or is there no viable cells left?

I really feel like the calculators are adjusting for the new packaging yet. I would Count back for months from the expiration date and use that date. So use March 17 four of the June And April for the June. My guess is if you can do a 3 L starter you'll be fine. Or do the biggest you can crash decant and do a vitality starter on brew day.

I really feel like the calculators are adjusting for the new packaging yet. I would Count back for months from the expiration date and use that date. So use March 17 four of the June And April for the June. My guess is if you can do a 3 L starter you'll be fine. Or do the biggest you can crash decant and do a vitality starter on brew day.

If I put in march 17th as the "mfg date" it says I need a 2L starter. Think it's worth giving it a shot?

Back