Old two-row pale, toss it or roast it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austinb

Reaction score
Hi, I have a small bag with about 4-5 lbs of two-row pale malt that is about 2-3 years old. I wouldn't want to use it as is because last time I used old malt it tasted overly malty and homebrewey. However, I was wondering if I could try to home roast it into something similar to chocolate malt and use it in small quantities in brown and red ales or if I should just toss it? I've never fully roasted grain before but I have lightly toasted some before, I would love to try roasting it but I don't want to ruin a beer because I used old malt.

Roast it or use it to make yeast starters (and dog treats). Chocolate malt is tricky in an oven, but 45-60 minutes at 400F will give you something roasty in the 200L range. I didn't get something as intense and abrasive as any of the dark roasted malts when I used it at heavy proportions in my beer, but the beer was nice.

Back