Old Smack Packs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan1979

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing this weekend.

I went to the LHBS to get my yeast and all they had for that strain was from April. When I commented on the age, they gave me another pack (from the same date). This shop usually has pretty fresh yeast and this is a strain that they don't sell much of (or so they said).

I smacked both packs on Sunday and it took until this morning before I could tell that there was a slight swelling in both packages.

I'm not used to getting old yeast so I haven't run across this situation before. Is this yeast worth using? I plan on adding it to a 3 liter starter this evening.

Thanks.

Well it sounds like you'll likely need to add an extra stage or two to your starter.
So it depends, how easy it for you to:
1) change your brew date to accommodate a longer starter growth? (if you're comfortable with a weeknight brew or using multiple starter stages to bump it back another week)
or 2) buy another smackpack to keep your originally planned schedule? (how convenient is another trip to the LHBS)

It's old, not bad. heck yes use it.
It's a viability date and the "smack" pack was(is) used to check viability of the yeast inside. If the pack is swelling your good.

edit: OP said two packs already, he has more than enough yeast for a 3L starter as long as the starter is a low gravity.

I have run into this on several occasions at my LHBS-

I always get a weird look accompanied by a sense of annoyance from the clerk when I inquire about old yeast.

I realize it is probably difficult to keep yeast in date, especially on some of the oddball strains.

However, at nearly $8 a pack, I enjoy getting "fresh" yeast:)

MrMalty indicates 10% viability. I would do this as a step starter. I would do about .5 to 1 liter of 1.025 starter wort and let is ferment for about 24-48 hours (on a stirplate), then do a 2 liter starter with 1.038 -1.040 wort for 18-14 hours.

If you are doing intermittent shaking I would triple the times.

It should be fine if you make the starter.

Back