Old Mr. Beer Fermenters.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randolf

Reaction score
Does anyone remember the old 6.5 gallon Mr. Beer fermenters ? I bought 2 of them in the mid-90's and only used them a few times.Being a REAL NOOB,back then,I followed the instructions offered by Mr. Beer.,and of course had lousey results so I mothballed homebrewing all together for 16 years.Now,in the last year,I have brewed some really good beers in the old Mr.Beer 6liter,and 2.5 gallon fermenters.I have also revived the 6.5 gallon ones and have brewed a wonderful Summer Ale in one of them,so I am waiting for the Fall here in Pa.,to start brewing in all of my fermenters.
Should be fun......

I use the small Mr. Beer kegs all the time for test batches and small brews. I'm doing a mini Arrogant Bastard tonite and a Stone IPA clone tomorrow to fill my 2 mini's. These small ones are good because in a hot, hot summer, I can put them in an ice chest and use some reuseable ice packs to keep them at the proper temperature.
I wish companies would make 5 and 6 gallon fermenters that could fit in ice chests.

I use my small Mr Beer keg to cold crash my three gallon batches when needed. It fits perfectly in my kitchen refrigerator.

I have on of those 6.5 gallon Mr. Beer Fermenters too! I have used it for 2 of my last 3 batches and they both turned out excellent. I don't use the spigot on it and should just seal up the opening as I usually just autoshiphon it to a bottling bucket after 3 weeks. Nice to hear that someone else has one of these too. :mug:

could we get a pic of the old fermenters? I like my little 2.5 mr beers for small batches.

This is the 6.5 gallon Mr. Beer fermenter.

mr beer.jpg

They came initially with a 3.75 lb. can of West Coast Pale Ale, but back in those days,you could get 3.75 lb. cans of most of their basic refills.
You also got plastic 2 liter bottles,similar to regular soda bottles,clear with just the Mr. Beer Label on them.You got 8 of those IIRC. I think I paid
$99 for each of them. Don't remember how much yeast came with the larger cans. You also got a bottling wand that fit up in the spigot.It is
spring loaded and will stay open for the bottling wand to be used,or you can open and close it as you need. Supposed to be a space-aged material
that can stand intense heat.Never tried that aspect though.

@Randolph I love that you mentioned those bottles. I still had some and used a couple with my kids when making root beer. They started laughing at the way it looked because it had that hard black plastic base to it and I didn't think anything about it because that's how all 2 liter bottles used to be made. Now the bottles are shaped so they stand on their own without the extra plastic base but dang, I don't remember when they changed. :D

Thanks Randolf, that is a sweet fermenter. Shame they don't offer the big kits anymore. Would be nice if Better Bottles came with a wide mouth like those.

Back