Old Lacto packet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slarkin712

Reaction score
I need some advice. I have an 11 month old packet of Omega Yeast Labs Lacto blend. It has been stored at ~35F since I got it fresh from Omega. I want to make a gose with it. Anyone have any idea how viable this Lacto is? I want to make a starter and brew the beer using kettle souring, but I want to pitch the appropriate number of cells. Should I make a small starter (100mL) and then step up to a large starter or just make a large starter with the assumption that the Lacto will eat up as much as it can regardless of starter size? I have a pH meter, so I track pH to see if the Lacto is finished. Any guidance is appreciated.

you could make very small 50-100 mL starter using the recipe from the milk the funk wiki (roughly apple juice, dme, water and nutrient and CaCO3 to buffer acidity and promote growth). If so start at rt for 1 day then ramp it to 95-110F. After 3 days I'd feed it again. Keep O2 out using CO2 purged and airlock. You should see some activity and sediment cloudiness.

Personally at this point I'd make a lacto starter from grain starting pH at 4.5 held at 110F and just dump in your omega blend. Less work and $ at this point and should work just as well assuming you have good temp Control and CO2.

Latest posts

Back