Old keggle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillip_h

Reaction score
I inherited a keggle with a couple of welded fittings recently. I would like to use it as a mash tun, but there's an issue. Whoever welded these fittings did so in such a way that the threads are inaccessible from the inside. I can't get anything to thread from the inside - I guess there's some flux or whatever on the threads.

I know that I could probably get in there and grind away, but I'm not sure that that would even work. Is there some kind of ball valve that has a ss tube already attached? Does that even make sense?

EDIT: here's a picture of the inside.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1483396466.892204.jpg

It may work to grind off the fitting, smooth the surface down and replace with a better welder and a new fitting.

Buy a tap that fits the correct threads and tap it from the outside in. Use plenty of oil and it should be fine, although better welds would be a good thing as well.

Looks like someone tried to weld it from the inside. That's sure to mess up the threads. A tap may get enough of a mangled thread to get something to hold, remember it doesn't need to seal, just stay in place. I like to put a brass fitting in the threads and only weld from the outside, works every time!

Latest posts

Back