Old home made fruit jam "Wine Time"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul444e

Reaction score
Hi guys thanks for the great info here but I didn't see anything on salvaging old or bad fruit jam. I tried the beer it's great, then tried the wine not so great, put strawberry jam in one gallon carboy sugar ,water, yeast, let sit for one week two week oh and its off pushed the home made air lock rite off the top I figured let it ride since allot of people say wild yeast is good ( I used brewers yeast ) when it was done fermenting it had fruit flies and bees when I was screening it. It had a smell of fruit wine but was thick like nectar, when I tasted it it felt like pins on my tongue. I kept it to still when my next attempt fails, I got allot of this jam. So is this the start of learning or am I being foolish for being this cheap and thinking I'll get something out of this. pectin was added to the jam if it matters, Has anybody made wine from fruit jam or do I need to use juice too Thanks

I wouldn't use old or bad jam- it takes good ingredients to make good wine.

I've used a gigantic tub (Warehouse sized) of cranberry sauce (like a jam) to make a very good cranberry wine, so you definitely can do it. But you need to start with jam that tastes good and has a nice color to it.

Back