old grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlampen45

Reaction score
I just got handed the grain bill for this recipe http://beersmith.com/Recipes2/recipe_273.htm
From a friend of mine who long story short isn't using it. The only problem is he got it together about 6 months ago and yes the grains are crushed. He assured me that it was sealed air tight for the duration but even then im not so sure about it. He didn't have the yeast to go with it and i can get whatever hops and add more to the grains if need be (i might add 2row since I'm only getting about 60 percent efficiency right now anyways) but the real question is should i use it as the recipe states? Can i try and go americanized oud bruin assuming the grains are a bit funky? Should i just toss them and save myself a big waste of time? Any input would be greatly appreciated

I just got handed the grain bill for this recipe http://beersmith.com/Recipes2/recipe_273.htm
The only problem is he got it together about 6 months ago and yes the grains are crushed. He assured me that it was sealed air tight for the duration but even then im not so sure about it. ...but the real question is should i use it as the recipe states?

This question depends on where you live (and your air's moisture content). As long as the grains have stayed completely dry they are just fine and can be used as is. Here in super dry Nevada, I regularly purchase full sacks of two row, mill it at my LHBS and keep it for months on end, either in the original bag or in a 5-gallon bucket with a gamma lid. Never had an issue, even with grain more than a year old.

You could easily change the recipe the way you suggest, but it is in no way necessary.

I'm in Michigan, where it is humid as hell at the moment. The bag is in the basement where it is pretty dry i suppose. Won't be able to use it for a couple weeks as i just filled my last open primary yesterday, among other obligations. Any thoughts on changing the recipe? I just made an English brown that should be ready for keg in a week or so

I'm in Michigan, where it is humid as hell at the moment. The bag is in the basement where it is pretty dry i suppose. Won't be able to use it for a couple weeks as i just filled my last open primary yesterday, among other obligations. Any thoughts on changing the recipe? I just made an English brown that should be ready for keg in a week or so

Since you have just the grains, you can go many different directions. If you want something lighter, add more two row and make two batches... APA or IPA, etc. if you want something like an Irish red add some darker crystal and just as hint of something like black patent or midnight wheat to make the color pop. Plug the quantities you have into brewing software and play with it. Since you don't have hops yet, you have a wide open field.... There are a lot of things you can do with what you have.......... double the batch size and make a saison, adding some wheat and rye......... or whatever turns your crank.

H.W.

Latest posts

Back