Old Fezziwig - AM I the only person who hates it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannable1975

Reaction score
Seriously, any one else? I have tried to like it, but after 6 I can say I will never, ever drink another one.

I've liked it in the past. The first one I had this year I thought was "meh". But the second and third ones I though were in the alright-good zone.

I tried this year's and it was pretty good. Do you like other winter style ales? I'm not a huge fan of cinnamon/ginger in my beer, but I think SA does a good job with this one.

the first year I had it (06 maybe?) it was a really really good beer.

the smell was incredible, just like baked christmas cookies. everything about that beer was great.

subsequent years had been underwhelming, and after having last year's I gave up on S-A for a bit.

is this how wine people live their lives? longing after certain vintages? anyone have a cellared 2006 SA Old Fezziwig? :)

I've never heard of it....what is it?

Samuel Adam's Old Fezziwig Ale, it's a seasonal wintertime brew.
The bottle neck reads: "Ole Fezziwig Ale is in the tradition of special seasoned beers for the winter Holidays, and takes its name from the festive character in the Charles Dickens' 'A Christmas Carol.' This is a hearty, rich, brownish-red ale that gets its character from large amounts of speciality malts. These roasted charamel and chocolate malts give it a very full body and a smooth taste that's then spiced with a touch of cinnamon, ginger and orange. Happy Holidays!"

I have never liked it, and never will.

SA Boston Lager is a good beer, the Octoberfest is excellent, and the Winter is hit-and-miss. Those are the only SA beers I like.

i thought it was really watery and bland this year, i never really cared for it in the past but always have a few with a buddy at his house. After this years I will never have one again

The three seasonals that I always look forward to are Bock, Octoberfests, and Christmas/Winter beers. Sam Adams always hits the mark with the first two, but I have to agree with the others here about Old Fezzy.
The first couple of years that I had it, I was amazed. It was incredible, and I swear that they sold it seperately in bombers. The last couple of years though, I just haven't been impressed.
Anchor Steam Christmas Ale is the same way. I have had it almost every year for the past...25-30?? years. Sometimes it's a hit, other times, not so much, but it never disappoints.

I had one last night, from the Sam Adam's winter case, It was Good but like another poster said "Nothing to write home about." However, the Chocolate Bock was magnificent!!!!

Also I had some Blueberry Extract for my Blue Screen ale (that I just bottled), I put 2-3 drops in the White Ale it was very good...Nice Blueberry aroma, and a tiny blueberry after taste, not over powering at all....I hope my Blue Screen turns out as good.

I pre bottle sample after the blueberry extract was added was tasty....Cant wait for it to get carbed up!

Back