Old crystal malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coriba

Reaction score
I’m using some old crystal malt I’ve had around for years (like 20 years). It’s been stored in a plastic pail with a tight lid, but not an air tight lid. When I tried to mill it, (corona mill), it gummed up the plates, like there was too much moisture. The grain does not feel moist. Could there be 5% too much moisture causing the grain to smash rather than crack? Can I dry it out? Seems like it should be fine in the mash, it just grinds poorly.

crystal mat contains unfermentable sugars in it, so it's a waste to use it when distilling, being that old, compost might be the best use for it
I think the primary reason for using crystal (or any specialty malt) in a wash would be for the flavor components, especially if making a whiskey. The unfermentable sugars (dextrins) can be converted to fermentable by throwing some amyloglucosidase (glucoamylase) enzyme in the fermenter.

Brew on :mug:

Crystal has no fermentable sugars? I thought it had some. And brewing calculators seem to think it increases gravity and ABV of a final brew.

I’m using the crystal with pale 2-row malt. Crystal at about 20% grain bill.

I’m using some old crystal malt I’ve had around for years (like 20 years). It’s been stored in a plastic pail with a tight lid, but not an air tight lid. When I tried to mill it, (corona mill), it gummed up the plates, like there was too much moisture. The grain does not feel moist. Could there be 5% too much moisture causing the grain to smash rather than crack? Can I dry it out? Seems like it should be fine in the mash, it just grinds poorly.
First thing I would do is smell the malt. If it is at all funky smelling, then I would discard it. If it smells ok, then you could try drying it out at about 225 - 250°F. You can monitor moisture loss by weighing initially and then periodically while drying.

Crystal has no fermentable sugars? I thought it had some. And brewing calculators seem to think it increases gravity and ABV of a final brew.
I also suspect there are some fermentable sugars in crystal malts. But, dissolved, unfermentable sugars (as well as dissolved starch, protein, lipids, etc.) increase the SG without adding to final ABV.

It seems that at least some crystal malts have fermentable sugars assisted by mashing with 2 grain. Yes, this is for whisky. I’ll add this batch’s stripping run to the others. I’ll do a spirit run on four different batches. Completely unrepeatable if it turns out great. All for fun right?

i thought crystal malt was just "mashed" in the kernel? so kinda like brown sugar? but mold be nasty stuff, and if it's mushing and 20 years old, i wouldn't drink it....

Back