Old Crushed Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bordy

Reaction score
So life happened to me and I haven't been able to brew for the last few months. I have a couple all grain kits that I purchased and never used about 5 months ago. The grains were all crushed when I bought them, then they were double bagged and basically never touched. Will they still be good? And if not, why? Thanks for the help.

How long would you be able to keep the grains like stated above safely before you would worry that they mite be bad.

Roger

If stored dry, even crushed grains can last a long while. You might lose some efficiency, but can always add DME at the end if you need to.

Cyclman said:
If stored dry, even crushed grains can last a long while. You might lose some efficiency, but can always add DME at the end if you need to.

Thanks for the info.

Roger

I just got better than expected efficiency with my 5-6 month old crushed grains. I live in a tropical climate, and the double bagged grains made a big difference IMO. Still very fresh smelling and tasting before I used them.

Latest posts

Back