Old brewer, new problem!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed an APA about 10 days ago using Northwest Ale yeast (pitched at 68, holding steady at 66 for 9 days) and fermentation has been as active as ever.

My target FG was 1.015 - from 1.058 - and after taking a reading today, I'm at 1.014.

Is it an absolutely terrible idea to cold crash and rack it, leaving behind as much of the yeast etc, before the yeast is truly done? My original batch of this finished at 1.015 and it was my favorite homebrew ever. I want to mimic it in every way possible.

It will be going straight into the keg after it clears.

I'm never impatient with beer, but this one doesn't seem to be stopping any time soon and I don't want it to finish too dry.

Someone please talk me back off the ledge... :drunk:

Take a step back from the ledge. I doubt it will go much lower but if it does you could add a little bit of maltodextrine to thicken the brew up some. Lactose sugar is an option too

Thanks! I thought about the malto, but I'm worried that will add a little haze to the beer. I suppose I should just exercise patience.

Just wasn't expecting a 75% attenuation... grrrr.

Beer can be frustrating.

Back