Old beer kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yomitche

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new to brewing, and have a prepackaged Scottish Ale beer kit that has remained dry and unopened for over a year since it was originally purchased. The yeast is, of course, expired. As are the hops. All other ingredients are in sealed, intact bags which appear to be relatively "airtight." I received this kit in a trade, and am not sure if it is usable.

My question is, can I replace the yeast and hops, and maybe successfully use the kit? What would you do? I realize nothing is lost if I attempt to use the kit, and it just doesn't work, other than time and effort. I would, however, rather avoid the disappointment.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Is it extract syrup or powder?

Meh. I'd go ahead and brew it, hops and all. (I would replace the yeast, though.) It's still beer! You'll have had an enjoyable brew day, gotten practice in your craft, and who knows? You might just have a really nice beer for the price of a packet of dry yeast!

I once found myself in a similar situation. IIRC it was a Brewers Best brown ale kit, with Muntons tinned LME. It was something like three years old. I bought a fresh sachet of S-04 and brewed it anyhow. I expected all manner of off-flavors just from the elderly extract syrup.

It was one of the best beers I've ever brewed. Don't know why, don't know how, and I'm not inclined to buy another BB brown ale kit and let it sit around for 3 years. Still, there it is. :D

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I appreciate the feedback!

Three years and still a good brew? Then I will give it a shot! Minimal replacement cost for the yeast, and I'm set!

Very new to brewing, and already learning so much!

Thanks again!

I've done this twice, successfully both times. The first time was my very first beer, a Mr. Beer Blonde Ale kit that had been sitting in a friend's garage for 2 years. I tossed the yeast & brewed with some Nottingham from a local liquor store that had a few home brew supplies. I was hooked after that! The second was with what I have in bottles now -- a honey/brown sugar wheat from Midwest of unknown age. The cherry syrup went in the sink because it tasted like cough syrup, so I substituted 1 cup each of local honey & light brown sugar, and added a 1/2 oz of wet Nugget hops from my garden. It's pretty tasty for a "what can I use" recipe!

If it's canned liquid malt extract, it will likely stay good for a long, long time since it's been pasteurized, cooked down and vacuum sealed. As a plus, most kits that include LME have hops in the LME as well (dependent on style, of course).

I bought a can of Cooper's OS lager at the lhbs for my 2nd brew,only to get it home & find that it was 2 years old. Made a small starter for the 2 year old 7g ale yeast packet. The beer turned out looking & tasting like a session version of Salvator doppelbock! Gary at Home Brewer TV gave me the full 3 thumbs up on that one. I beat a commercial ale with an old Cooper's can. Episode 38 if you can find it. My link's no good anymore. but the pic of my "summer ale" is in my gallery. So never say never.

Back