Old Ale feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodTimeCharlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First time post.

I just transferred my old Ale from primary to secondary. 1.093 sg and 1.021 current gravity. Nice flavor but a bit too much hop bitterness. I plan to let this sit some time before bottling.

Will the hop bitterness diminish or mellow as it sits?

I also added some bourbon that had been soaking on oak to taste (about 4 ounces to 5 gal). On second taste it may have been a bit too much. Will this oak/bourbon flavors intensify or diminish as it sits.

Bitterness and oak both diminish with time. I'd wouldn't think the bourbon would though (haven't used it, so can't really say). It might taste quite different once it's bottled anyway - carbonation really changes beers.

What do you use for your secondary vessel? How much headspace is there?
You really need to reduce the chance of oxidation for long term bulk aging.

As said before, these changes can take many months or even years.
If the oak and whiskey is really way too much, brew another batch and blend the 2.

Care to post the recipe? Just got back from visiting colonial Williamsburg and had a couple “historic “ ales and have been interested in replicating them

Back