Olathe, KS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHappyHopper

Reaction score
Hi there!

I have been creeping around here reading posts for a few years now. I finally took the plunge and started brewing about a year ago and it has been the most rewarding hobby ever.

I am currently working with a 5 gallon all grain setup and I am constantly looking to upgrade my equipment. In the next month or so, I am going to finally put together a temp controller and fermentation chamber so I am pretty excited for that.

Welcome.. I was just back in the area in March. My son married an girl in an India Indian wedding in Lenexa. Nice area.. but, wow, was it colllld Wow. Got to have a great personal type tour at Boulevard in KC.

Thank you all! I have been trying to figure out how to improve my brewing skills and I think becoming more active here is a good start.

There are several brewers here in Olathe. Tomorrow is the Johnson County Brew meeting in OP and a bunch of those in attendance will be from Olathe.

Good to see more Olathe people here. I ended up making it to that last JoCo BS meeting, I brought the pumpkin ale.

For those of you that live in the area, do you do anything with the water here when brewing? I been reading up on water chemistry and it looks like according to the Olathe 2014 water report, the calcium level is a little low.

I missed last meeting as we went up to Cinder Block.

Hard to believe Olathe has low calcium as we get white water deposits on our shower/sinks. We brew with RO and build up the profile we want for the style we are brewing.

Almost Famous Brewing Company

Yeah, according to the 2014 Olathe water report, Calcium is at 40 ppm (assuming that is accurate)...the EZ Water spreadsheet is telling me to add some Calcium Chloride.

Yeah, according to the 2014 Olathe water report, Calcium is at 40 ppm (assuming that is accurate)...the EZ Water spreadsheet is telling me to add some Calcium Chloride.

Still find that hard to believe. We notice the water change a couple times a year but it always appears over mineralized to me.

Almost Famous Brewing Company

Back