Oktoberfest starting to clear after 10 days..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumpkinman2012

Reaction score
I have a real nice Oktoberfest fermented with 2 vials German Bock yeast WPL833, I did not make a yeast starter, I fermented 9 days at 49°, the lower end of the temperature tolerance for this yeast, D-Rest for 3 days, then placed to lager at 31°.
For kicks and giggles, I opened up my Fermentation/Lager/Cold Crash mini fridge and noticed that after only 10 days it is starting to clear.
I anticipated lagering for up to 7 weeks, instead it appears that it may be ready much sooner.
The last batch of Oktoberfest that I brewed, I used Saflager W-34/70 & Saflager S-23, I hydrated the yeast to build up the yeast population, and as with the current brew, I fermented at 49°, the lower end of the temperature tolerance for this yeast for 11 days, D-Rest for 3 days, then placed to lager at 31°.
The batch fermented on the Fermentis yeast took 5 weeks to clear and even then it wasn't crystal clear.
I am curious to see if there is any major differences with the flavor profile, I'll report back my opinion on each after this brew has been bottled and conditioned.
From what I see right now, I will be harvesting/yeast washing the WPL833.
I've read on the White Labs website "More then 10 X 5 gallon batches brewed with the same culture, re-pitching new wort on the old yeast cake, over more than a year" that in itself is very appealing.
I cannot wait to crack a bottle open and try one!

Latest posts

Back