Oktoberfest slow to ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sillbeer

Reaction score
Greetings all. I know bubble activity isn't necessarily an indication of fermentation but it's been two full days since I finished 11 gallons of Oktoberfest and I barely see any activity in the airlock. Post boil gravity called for 1.059 and I was at 1.064. I used 3 packs of Oktoberfest Wyeast 2633. After a little reading it's apparent I under pitched. Instructions called for 48 - 58 degrees for fermenting temp. I set my fermenter to 52.

Should I just let it roll or pitch some more yeast? What are my options?

If the wyeast pouches expanded, you're good. Just let it roll.

I have a policy of expecting ales to show signs of fermentation in 2 days, and lagers in 3. If not, I do add more yeast. No downside to adding more yeast. I don't fill my airlocks until later, so no bubbling, so I just watch for krausen.

I've got a couple of ocfests crash cooling right now. Their season in FL doesn't come for another month. Still hot out there.

Thanks for the input!

I usually shake the fermenters after I pitch the yeast. If I decide to pitch yeast again in 3 or 4 days should I shake the fermenters? Would it be advisable to use dry yeast since I used liquid yeast in the beginning or would that screw things up? I would buy more liquid yeast, mixing dry and liquid was just out of curiosity.

I agree you just under pitched. I have 10 gallons of an O-Fest that I brewed in Sept. and it has been kegged and cold lagering at 32 degrees. It should be ready for the holidays. When I brew lagers I usually use two smack packs and make a 4 liter starter. I then cold crash and decant the liquid and add all that nice yeast to the wort. Fermentation starts much quicker with the proper amount of yeast being pitched. Hopefully yours will take off very soon. Good Luck!

John

Just transferred this to secondary and checked my SG. 1.018. Should be a good beer. I'll take a taste in about 6 weeks.

Latest posts

Back