oktoberfest kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAmike

Reaction score
I stopped at a local homebrew supply store today and there was a brewer's Best german oktoberfest kit there for $29. The only thing that made me hesitate is that Oktoberfest os designed to be lagered, what would happen if I were to ferment it just like an ale? would it change the flavor, body, alcohol content? has anyone tried it?

I don't have lagering capabilities either, so I use a clean ale yeast like S-05 and ferment as close to 60 degrees as I can. S-04 would give you a maltier beer, but it would have to be fermented cool or it would get fruity. What I have been using lately is a 50/50 mix of S-05 and W-34/70. If you can keep the temperature around 60 degrees it gives you a very lager-like beer.

So give it a go- I have never used a Brewers Best kit, so I can't speak to the taste of the finished beer, but there are many of us who use ale yeast and ferment cool for an Oktoberfest style beer.

Latest posts

Back