Oktoberfest Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thejbj13

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

Anyone have any good Oktoberfest recipes they wouldn't mind sharing?

There's a few threads on here with various interpretations of the Ofest. You'll see there are two different variations - 1) the American version that is darker and has more Crystal malt, and 2) the lighter, no crystal, more pilsner based "fest bier" that's supposed to be what they drink in Germany now.

I just started lagering one tonight that's closer to #2, with 70% pilsner, 17% Vienna, 13% Light Munich.

Tettnang hops at 60 min and 30 min for 27 IBU, Wyeast Munich Lager (2308 ).

OG: 1.053
FG: 1.010

Hydro sample treated great.

There's a few threads on here with various interpretations of the Ofest. You'll see there are two different variations - 1) the American version that is darker and has more Crystal malt, and 2) the lighter, no crystal, more pilsner based "fest bier" that's supposed to be what they drink in Germany now.

I just started lagering one tonight that's closer to #2, with 70% pilsner, 17% Vienna, 13% Light Munich.

Tettnang hops at 60 min and 30 min for 27 IBU, Wyeast Munich Lager (2308 ).

OG: 1.053

Hydro sample treated great.

Can't help as far as a recipe, but the difference seems to be less an "American" version, as much as the older version that's not as popular any more.

For what it's worth, in the new 2014 BJCP guidelines, they've split it into Märzen (the old style of Oktoberfest) and Festbier (the paler golden beer they serve in Bavaria now).

For what it's worth, in the new 2014 BJCP guidelines, they've split it into Märzen (the old style of Oktoberfest) and Festbier (the paler golden beer they serve in Bavaria now).

Cool. I hadn't heard this.

I brewed mine this year with 35% Vienna, 35% Munich, and 30% pilsener. Tettnang at 60 and 20. It's been longer for about 2 weeks now, but the samples have been very tasty with a complex malty character.

My grain bill is in parts. 4 parts pils, 2 parts munich, 1 part biscuit. Target OG is 1.058 or so. Northern Brewer split as evenly as possible at 60 and 20 for about 23 IBU.

This is for a triple decoction. If you just want to step mash swap the pils for vienna.

Back