Oktoberfest Ale Recipe Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devils4ever

Reaction score
I know this isn't a pure Oktoberfest beer, but I need an ale version of this recipe that will be ready in about 5 weeks for a friend.

Can anyone share a Oktoberfest Ale recipe?

Instead of S-04 I'd use WLP029. It's very lager-like, but ferments at 65°-69° (or slightly cooler). It'll drop clear in a week or two.

Instead of S-04 I'd use WLP029. It's very lager-like, but ferments at 65°-69° (or slightly cooler). It'll drop clear in a week or two.

I second this recommendation. I’ll be making an OktoberFast recipe soon using this yeast and it’s a great segway to lagering. If you can ferment in the low 60s it finishes out crisp and clean. Give it a couple weeks at lagering temperatures and it will really shine.

If you’re looking to use a traditional lager yeast in the same time frame, WY2112 (California Common) and W-34/70 (Bohemian Lager) fermented in the low 60s are also good options.

Thanks! This is just what I was looking for!

So, after reading through most of that long thread, this is the recipe that I think is correct:

Batch size: 5.5 gal
4.0 lb Pilsner malt
2.5 lb Vienna malt
2.0 lb Munich malt
1.0 lb Aromatic malt
1.0 lb Crystal 20L malt
0.5 lb Cara-Pils malt
0.5 lb Crystal 40L malt
2.0 oz Tettnang hops (60 min)
1.0 oz Tettnang hops (45 min)
1.0 oz Tettnang hops (30 min)
1 pkg S-04 yeast or White Labs WLP029 yeast with starter

Mash for 45 minutes at 156F. Boil for 90 minutes.

Ferment for 2 weeks using either: (S-04 at 60F) or (WLP029 at 65F)? Raise to 70F for a few days (diacetyl rest), then cold crash and keg for 2+ weeks.

Hmm. I'm trying to enter this into BS3 and I don't see a Style called Oktoberfest. What do I use?

Oh, you want an Oktoberfest that will be ready in 5 weeks do ya? IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jk. I have this fermenting right now and all signs are pointing towards being 4 or 5 weeks until ready. Shout out to Brulosophy for all they do! I've done this once with the WLP029 Kolsch, was outstanding. This time around my LHBS was a bit limited on their yeast stash so I'm giving it a go with Wyeast's Bavarian lager strain and fermenting about 5 degrees cooler. Same idea though.

http://brulosophy.com/recipes/moktoberfest/
Packaging Volume: 5 gallons
Estimated OG: 1.052
Estimated SRM: 11
Estimated IBU: 23
Estimated ABV: ~5.2%

Boil Time: 90 Minutes

GRIST
4 lbs 15.0 oz Vienna Malt (46.5%)
2 lbs 7.0 oz Munich Malt – 10L (22.9%)
2 lbs 2.0 oz Pilsner Malt, German (20%)
8.0 oz Crystal 60 (4.7%)
8.0 oz Honey Malt (4.7%)
2.0 oz Special B (1.2%)

HOPS
~20 IBU Saaz – Boil 60 min
16.00 g Saaz – Boil 15 min

YEAST
1.0 pkg WLP029 – German Ale/Kölsch

PROCESS
– Mash at ~152°F for 60 minutes (4.75 gallons)
– Sparge with 170°F water (4.5 gallons)
– Chill to 56°F prior to pitching yeast starter
– Ferment at 58°F for 4-5 days then ramp up to 65° over the next few days
– Cold crash for 48+ hours after FG is stable (10-14 days)
– Package, carbonate, enjoy!

So, I used the Marzen (6A) style for this in BS3 and Brewersfriend.com. Using the above recipe, I am way over-hopped. I had to reduce the Tettnang hops to 0.5 oz for each 60, 45, 30 min addition to get it within style guidelines. Does this seem correct? Why is the original recipe so hopped when compared to a Marzen? Is a true Oktoberfest much more hoppy than a Marzen?

I think for this you want to shoot around 20 IBUs. With the high mash temp, the Vienna and crystal malts will make it pretty sweet.

That being said, Brewers Friend has a Marzen at 18-24 IBUs so a target of 20 will put you right there. Actually now that I look back at your recipe, yeah you got too many hops in there. My 5.5 gallon recipe had 0.75oz, 0.5oz, and 0.5oz additions.

So, I used the Marzen (6A) style for this in BS3 and Brewersfriend.com. Using the above recipe, I am way over-hopped. I had to reduce the Tettnang hops to 0.5 oz for each 60, 45, 30 min addition to get it within style guidelines. Does this seem correct? Why is the original recipe so hopped when compared to a Marzen? Is a true Oktoberfest much more hoppy than a Marzen?
The original recipe is for 11 gallons. You cut your grain amounts, but not the hops - that's why it was out of whack.

Also, traditional Oktoberfest and Marzen are the same. Modern examples in Germany are referred to as Festbier, which tend to be much lighter in color and hit the higher side of ABV. I believe it has it's own category in the guidelines.

The original recipe is for 11 gallons. You cut your grain amounts, but not the hops - that's why it was out of whack.

Also, traditional Oktoberfest and Marzen are the same. Modern examples in Germany are referred to as Festbier, which tend to be much lighter in color and hit the higher side of ABV. I believe it has it's own category in the guidelines.

Oops. You are correct. However, with 1 oz (60 min), 0.5 oz (45 min), and 0.5 oz (30 min), I'm still over the range. I guess the difference is I have AA set to 4.5% and the original recipe has it set to 3.2%. Mystery solved! Thanks!

Oops. You are correct. However, with 1 oz (60 min), 0.5 oz (45 min), and 0.5 oz (30 min), I'm still over the range. I guess the difference is I have AA set to 4.5% and the original recipe has it set to 3.2%. Mystery solved! Thanks!

Yeah be sure the check the AA on the hops you get. I had to adjust a little bit since the AA of the hops I got weren't the same.

you also don't need to do three additions....a 60 and a late (20 or 10) work just fine.

See these two links:
https://www.paulaner.com/us/products/oktoberfest-beers/oktoberfest-marzen#tabid_Ingredients

https://www.paulaner.com/us/products/oktoberfest-beers/oktoberfest-wiesn#tabid_Ingredients

they are both great. (I lean towards the wiesn)
they are both Munich and pilsner only (probably some acid malt).

I've done the marzen as follows: 70% Munich + 28% Pilsner, 2% Acid, Hallertau Hops, and w34/70 yeast
Turned out really good.

Did the wiesn as well, don't have my percentages in front of me, but want to say 80% pilsner, 18% Munich, 2% acid, Hallertau, 34/70.
was awesome.

Last edited:
Back