oklahoma people, protect your homebrew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshesmusica

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm from oklahoma, and always follow the tornadoes when I get a chance, and Oklahoma homebrewers, get that homebrew in the closet with you! please!

It could be worse...

sharknado.jpg

I was just there on Sunday. Our hosts were pretty close to that scary stuff last night.

A few years ago I stopped on the highway between Lovel Wyoming and Laurel Montana North of Frannie, just inside Montana, to let a tornado cross the highway in front of me. A few days later, one touched down in downtown Billings, lifting the roof off of the Metra sports arena, and not much else. The same year a friend living about 30 miles away on the west slope of the Crazy Mountains slept through one that touched down a quarter mile from where she lived, and laid down about a square mile of timber.... in a circle. I've hiked through various places in the mountains where they've touched down.
Oklahoma doesn't have a monopoly on the damn things, we actually get quite a few here, but the population density is so low that they seldom do any significant damage. Hail is another matter......... We get massive hail damage, destroying vehicles, roofs, etc. Last summer I was parked in front of a local rancher's shop working on a tractor, and a hail storm came through that broke 11 windshields and left vehicles looking like they'd been worked over with a ball pein hammer...... Mine was the only windshield that escaped, though it was parked between two identical pickups facing the same way, both of which lost windshields. It totaled a friend's new subaru about 15 miles west, and trashed virtually every vehicle on a ranch in between, not to mention roofs, siding etc. Many of the hailstones were considerably larger than golf balls. We froze one that measured almost 2" diameter and was made of solid clear ice, not a conglomeration of smaller stones as is often the case.

H.W.

A few years ago I stopped on the highway between Lovel Wyoming and Laurel Montana North of Frannie, just inside Montana, to let a tornado cross the highway in front of me. A few days later, one touched down in downtown Billings, lifting the roof off of the Metra sports arena, and not much else. The same year a friend living about 30 miles away on the west slope of the Crazy Mountains slept through one that touched down a quarter mile from where she lived, and laid down about a square mile of timber.... in a circle. I've hiked through various places in the mountains where they've touched down.
Oklahoma doesn't have a monopoly on the damn things, we actually get quite a few here, but the population density is so low that they seldom do any significant damage. Hail is another matter......... We get massive hail damage, destroying vehicles, roofs, etc. Last summer I was parked in front of a local rancher's shop working on a tractor, and a hail storm came through that broke 11 windshields and left vehicles looking like they'd been worked over with a ball pein hammer...... Mine was the only windshield that escaped, though it was parked between two identical pickups facing the same way, both of which lost windshields. It totaled a friend's new subaru about 15 miles west, and trashed virtually every vehicle on a ranch in between, not to mention roofs, siding etc. Many of the hailstones were considerably larger than golf balls. We froze one that measured almost 2" diameter and was made of solid clear ice, not a conglomeration of smaller stones as is often the case.

H.W.

What year was the metra? 2010? Does your friend on the west slope live in the upper shields valley? Over by target rock?

What year was the metra? 2010? Does your friend on the west slope live in the upper shields valley? Over by target rock?

Yes.... and Yes........ You know the Shields Valley?? I'm on the other side of the Crazy Mountains. I think that I mixed the years up........ the tornado in the Shields was perhaps a different year, but these things run together. Ruth has a cabin up there where she lives part time. I've never been there personally. She's retired now due to health reasons, was a home nurse at the time, and on "off time".

Do you know this country? I live in Melville, on the West side of the Crazy Mountains.

H.W.

Yes.... and Yes........ You know the Shields Valley?? I'm on the other side of the Crazy Mountains. I think that I mixed the years up........ the tornado in the Shields was perhaps a different year, but these things run together. Ruth has a cabin up there where she lives part time. I've never been there personally. She's retired now due to health reasons, was a home nurse at the time, and on "off time".

Do you know this country? I live in Melville, on the West side of the Crazy Mountains.

H.W.

I think you have your east and west mixed up a bit... either way. Fished the shields Once or twice. I've ran cattle from lennep area to shields going right by target rock. The black cows on muffys land are my relatives. Muffys has the cabin at the end of the road where the tornados did a lot of damage. I spent a lot of time with a stihl cutting lumber off our fences that year.

If I remember right that was a damn cold November too. Almost like the old days. We were chasing whitetail on the north of end of the range that fall.

If you didn't figure out the riddle for my location it is az. Used to live on the mogollon rim where it snowed and now I live in the damn deseRt. Time and a place I guess. Never made it to your country. Over to two dot and Harlow quite a bit. Of course bozo ville and ennis and that area. I probably have a relative buried in melville.

What is it about Moore, OK? That place gets jacked by tornadoes every year! I drove through it about a year ago. I didn't realize it was a suburb of OKC. It's amazing OKC doesn't get blasted more.

What is it about Moore, OK? That place gets jacked by tornadoes every year! I drove through it about a year ago. I didn't realize it was a suburb of OKC. It's amazing OKC doesn't get blasted more.

It's also Toby Keith's hometown. Didn't know that until I saw the water tower last weekend.

Because GOD is telling us we should have a State Park there and we don't listen. And because all the Moore-ons there don't care that their repetitions only serve to jack my insurance rates up.

Moore OK is located in a very flat area. The wind is typically pretty constant year round. The storms blow up right over Moore and the tornadoes stay on the ground because the area is so flat. The tornadoes start to build momentum and actually get larger as they pass through moore. Up here in the NE part of the state, just like the tornado that I posted a photo of, they run into hills and have a lot less flat area to build momentum. That, plus the wind is much less constant than down in the Moore area. The tornado on wednesday ran right along the river for around 10 miles before picking up off the ground.

Hilarious how a thread about a tornado that I actually took footage of, and watched eff $hit up, turns into a conversation ripping on Oklahoma by people in that live elsewhere. How g'dam conceited are people to turn every conversation into some kind of discussion about where you live vs. the rest of the world. We fear no natural disaster in OK because everyone helps each other here. We are not commie-fornia where everyone would be worrying about some movie stars house getting damaged. No, we dont have a monopoly on tornadoes, but there are places in OK that have recorded the fastest wind speeds on earth. No where else in the world has this happened. The folks in the OKC area experience the strongest tornadoes on earth. BOTTOM LINE. They've got the data and the fatalities to go along with it.

Moore OK is located in a very flat area. The wind is typically pretty constant year round. The storms blow up right over Moore and the tornadoes stay on the ground because the area is so flat. The tornadoes start to build momentum and actually get larger as they pass through moore. Up here in the NE part of the state, just like the tornado that I posted a photo of, they run into hills and have a lot less flat area to build momentum. That, plus the wind is much less constant than down in the Moore area. The tornado on wednesday ran right along the river for around 10 miles before picking up off the ground.

it's not quite that simple, but it does play a part in it.
the only time i'll defend OK (born and raised there) is when anybody tries to compare it to arkansas or texas.
but i think the above discussions are all in good fun. no need to take it personal.

Latest posts

Back