OK to use brett for beer, after cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
'lo

i recently made an all-brettanomyces cider (aside: it was a strange fermentation. 3 or 4 days with no action at all, then it fermented out in less than 18 hours. would have been easy to miss!). used a starter of WLP650, Brett Brux, which spent a week and a half on a stir plate.

i want to re-use the brett B cake in an all-brett beer. now normally you wouldn't want to use sacc in such a fashion, since going from a simple-sugar fermentation to a malt fermentation is going to cause problems: the sacc may not ferment the maltose in the beer because it got lazy on the simple sugars (only) in the cider. or so i've read several times.

however, i suspect this isn't a concern with brett. anyone have any thoughts on re-using a cider cake for beer? thanks!

I use grape juice to keep my starters alive since I'm cheap and don't like buying dme or making starter wort for this purpose. I check for preservatives though. Anywho, I build it this way and then pitch. I've done this with brett strains. Grape juice is simple sugars too. My Mo Betta clone has great flavors in the bottle at this point, and I grew it from dregs using grape juice. So I've done similar things with good results. Just my experience.

I have never tested it, but I don't believe that yeast will quit working on complex sugars after they have tasted simple sugars.

After several generations you might be selecting a certain trait of the yeast, but after a single brew, I don't believe it makes a difference (like re-using primary vs. secondary yeast). Keep doing the same thing and the yeast will eventually change/adapt, but a single generation is not enough.

However, that said, I will still try and avoid going from simple sugars to complex sugars with a yeast as a general practice.

Back