Ok to remove gas QD from pressurized keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PistolaPete

Reaction score
Am I right in assuming I need to purge a keg of gas before removing the gas quick disconnect? I ask because I have a regulator can only handle two kegs at this time and I just transfered an Oktoberfest into a third corny keg for lagering. It seems like every time I purged the Oktoberfest keg of gas so I could remove the quick disconnect, the large Oring seal started to leak CO2. Is there a way to keep a keg pressurized and still be able to remove the gas quick disconnect?

No it should hold pressure fine when you remove the quick disconnects. If it doesn't you need to do some work on your posts. Maybe the O-rings need replacing. I have a couple that I have to give the ball a little push (it'll out gas a bit then when I let go it usually seats properly) to seat it though so you could try that. It is easy enough to see where you are leaking if you have a bottle of Star San made up... just squirt it all over the posts and around the lid (the big O-ring in the lid could be leaking too) and look for bubbles.

Pete, you can just pop them off without purging the keg.

Ok thanks. I know it's not a good idea to remove the liquid line while the keg is pressurized, but I wasn't sure if there was any issue removing the gas line with pressure still in the keg.

Ok thanks. I know it's not a good idea to remove the liquid line while the keg is pressurized, but I wasn't sure if there was any issue removing the gas line with pressure still in the keg.

Why can't you remove the liquid line? If your poppets are working properly to reseal the posts you should be able to detach either disconnect any time you want.

No it should hold pressure fine when you remove the quick disconnects. If it doesn't you need to do some work on your posts. Maybe the O-rings need replacing. I have a couple that I have to give the ball a little push (it'll out gas a bit then when I let go it usually seats properly) to seat it though so you could try that. It is easy enough to see where you are leaking if you have a bottle of Star San made up... just squirt it all over the posts and around the lid (the big O-ring in the lid could be leaking too) and look for bubbles.

I used some star san spray to see the leak is coming from the lid o-ring. I was just worried I needed to purge the keg of gas before removing the gas disconnect. It seems like the lid will not seal properly without pressure in the keg.

Why can't you remove the liquid line? If your poppets are working properly to reseal the posts you should be able to detach either disconnect any time you want.

Ok, good to know. I'm new to kegging and thought I'd read that liquid would come shooting out if the keg wasnt purged first.

Well, it shouldn't, but there is the remote possibility of a poppet sticking open. So, I guess it depends on if you're talking worst case scenario or typical operation.

When I pop a QD I wrap my hand around it so it is in my palm (like you do when you push them into place) then pop it without pulling it away from the keg. This way if it is stuck open most of the beer ends up in the keezer and it only takes a second to slam it back into place. Typically though if your posts are in good shape the worst you will get is a "hissy or bubbly" valve which giving the ball a light push or rolling your thumb across it will usually seal. (hope that made sense)

As long as everything is working you can just pop off both QDs and roll your full and pressurized keg down your driveway. Not that I would suggest it as a past time but it has happened to me on occasion, lol.

When I pop a QD I wrap my hand around it so it is in my palm (like you do when you push them into place) then pop it without pulling it away from the keg. This way if it is stuck open most of the beer ends up in the keezer and it only takes a second to slam it back into place. Typically though if your posts are in good shape the worst you will get is a "hissy or bubbly" valve which giving the ball a light push or rolling your thumb across it will usually seal. (hope that made sense)

As long as everything is working you can just pop off both QDs and roll your full and pressurized keg down your driveway. Not that I would suggest it as a past time but it has happened to me on occasion, lol.

OK thanks for the info! It does make sense because after reading everyone's advice in the posts above I went back to seat the leaky lid with more pressure and I did notice that once I removed the QD from the pressurized keg there was a slight gas leak coming from the post and it seemed to stop once I pushed the poppet around. And all of my o-rings are brand new...go figure!

Ball, poppet... whatever, lol. I knew something didn't sound right rereading that the first time. It has been a long week and my brain seems to have disconnected. :p

Back