Ok to leave beer in primed bottling bucket for a few days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman2

Reaction score
Just curious cuz I've done it a couple times now. You know, trying to get a bottling session going and then find out that you don't have time to do it. And the next thing you know it's been 4 days till you can bottle.

But the last time I did this is when I think I ended up with a really bad, possibly infected brew. Not sure here just trying to see if there was anything to it.

yeah, for the one that I'm talking about it seemed carbonated but the taste has been really bad and it's probably been like 2 or 3 months so far

If you set it up the Revvy way and place wit up your bottling wand onto your bottling bucket spigot with a short piece of tubing, it'll only take you 15-20 minutes to bottle up your brew...

If you've primed, you'll have to wait for it to ferment out completely and prime again. Assuming you've correctly sanitized your bottling bucket there should be no problem with infection.

Ok, but I am asking because I just did this again and have already bottled 47 beers. They were in bottling bucket for around 4 to 5 days with priming sugar and about 1 gram of fresh dry yeast.

Should I reopen all the beers, pour them gently into the bucket and reprime all over again??

And is infection or bad taste a possibility with this situation? Or is this mainly a carbonation situation?

Ok, but I am asking because I just did this again and have already bottled 47 beers. They were in bottling bucket for around 4 to 5 days with priming sugar and about 1 gram of fresh dry yeast.

Should I reopen all the beers, pour them gently into the bucket and reprime all over again??

Yeah, they aren't going to carb. To be on the safe side I would return to a sanitized bottling bucket and take a gravity reading. If reading is the same tomorrow, re-prime and bottle. You want to make sure that all of the first priming sugars have been consumed before adding your measured amount.

If the bottling bucket is closed with a lid you should be fine from infection, it just becomes a secondary. You still need to re-prime though. 4 days, almost all the sugar would have been consumed in a regular gravity brew.

If the bottling bucket is closed with a lid you should be fine from infection, it just becomes a secondary. You still need to re-prime though. 4 days, almost all the sugar would have been consumed in a regular gravity brew.

Yeah, but once again I've already bottled. I could uncap and throw in some more sugar. It'd be easier than pouring back to a bucket and repriming and rebottling if this is what I should do

Back