OK to bottle into growlers with screw tops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mechphisto

Reaction score
Up to now I've always only bottled into regular 12 and 22 oz bottles and capped them.
But I was wondering... is it ok to bottle into growlers that just a screwtop? (Naturally, assuming primary fermentation is completely finished), would the secondary/bottling fermentation cause the screwcaps to blow or leak? Not stay air tight?

Thanks for any feedback!
Liam

there are alot of people that will tell you yes and alot that will tell you know.

basically growlers are not suited to hold pressure and can explode. if you do it you need to be careful. I just did it with an IPA, put the growler in a plastic sack, and then in an extra bucket with the lid half clamped down. If it was to explode, it wasn't going to do any damage or mess.

With the screw tops, I put a wax seal that I made from melting hotglue and a few crayons in a tin can. the cap alone was not air-tight enough.

Good luck to you!

Apparently someone did an experiment and determined that pressure was highest during carbonation (i.e., carbonatING beer has higher pressure than carbonatED beer). Which is why growlers are safe after carbonation, but potentially not so seeing carbonation.

Seems like BS to me, but he posted numbers. I can't comment on the legitimacy of his experiment as I didn't pay attention to every detail.

I personally have done it. But only after reading that I shouldn't. So, like jodell, I put it in a bucket.

^^^ +1

You can but it is at your own risk.

They might work, or they could leak or worse, seal and be a big bottle bomb.

I personally won't use them, but I have used some other bottles that have worked quite well.

Any soft drink bottle is good as long as you keep the clear ones in the dark and watch out for a few flavors that are hard to get clean, ie, root beer and the 23 flavor type.

The BMC aluminum bottles also work if you know people that drink that.

Sports drinks, tea, and cheap water bottles won't work either.

I have not used those exact bottles but have used many other commercial flip top bottles and IMPO believe they are stronger than a standard crown top bottle.

Just keep a watch on the seals, the red rubber part, if it looks worn at all just replace it. Your LHBS should sell them in bulk. Or they can be found online but shipping is often more than the cost.

Back