Ok to add gelatin late in the game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooperhonk

Reaction score
I have a tastey SN Celebration Ale clone in "secondary", aka the keg. The carb is spot on and beer is good but I transferred a good amount of yeast cake etc. into keg on accident and it just hasn't cleared up very well despite irish moss during boil and cold crash. Looks hazey with good amount of floaties.

Would it be a mistake to take it off gas and add gelatin at this point? Should I just wait longer for it to clear up (it's been 5 days already)?

I have done this multiple times back when I was getting greedy/ careless while racking and wanted clearer beer.
A piece of advice though, boil the water you use to make gelatin and allow it to cool to the 160 F or so that you would normally mix the gelatin at. This will remove O2 from the mix and help reduce oxidation. You can repressurize your keg through the outlet port on the keg to mix everything up (get the gelatin to distribute through the beer).

Back