ok- now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskatammy

Reaction score
I made my cider. I have racked it into 2nd. I initially made a gallon- when I racked, I did 2 growlers. To 1 I added a bit of frozen concentrate. Both jugs never bubbbled in 2ndary. Both are very clear & amber looking (with lees in bottom).

I'd like to sweeten (I have splenda). I'd love to carb- but I'm a bit nervous & kinda wanna keep it simple. I have both frozen concentrate & dextrose. I also have flip tops bottles & I have a couple of 2 liter pop bottles.

Would adding the concentrate be enough carb or sould I use dextrose? And will it work to just put it all in the plastic 2L bottles or is there some disadvantage? If so, how full should I fill them?

Or should I just not be a lazy girl wuss & bottle into my flip tops? =)

If you are using concentrate, you need to figure out how much sugar is in it, and use a priming calculator, or you may get some bottle bombs. otherwise bottle into what ever you'd like. I stay way from plastic so I have no idea how that works.

OK- so, I hope I don't hurt myself & thrash my house! I'm going to bottle into flip tops & use 1/2 t per bottle of dextrose. I'm undecided if I should do a small plastic bottle as a test carb bottle- I probably will, but gosh, a gallon isn't very much cider. =)

I'm a newbie and don't have numbers for you but for what it's worth my 5 gal batch barley bubbled just before bottling. I added 2 cans of concentrate to the whole batch when I bottled. It was highly carbed in 3 days. I had to stove top pasteurize (very easy) to stop the carbonation.

Back