Oh you said 68 degrees? I thought you said 58 degrees!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrappinit

Reaction score
Hey all-

I feel like I only post on these forums when I do something idiotic. I've got a nice robust porter (soon to be coffee porter) with an OG of 1.071. In the mayhem that always is the last 45 minutes of our brew day, when I went to convert the fermentation temp of 68 degrees into Celsius, I accidentally asked google for 58 degrees in Celsius. I set the fermentation chamber accordingly and am not sure the California Ale yeasties (WL001) have been enjoying themselves. You know how Californians get when the temp drops below 60 degrees...

While there's been some fermentation activity, it's definitely not what I would expect for a bigger beer like this. We noticed the mistake this afternoon when adding a new batch to the fermentation chamber, it is now set at 67/68 degrees like it should. The wort started in the mid 60s, was held at 58 by the fermentation chamber for 3 days, and now will be climbing back up to 68.

Will my yeast just get down to business once they're warmed up and happy? Any side effects we should know about?

Thanks-
Scrapp

I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about. You can add some yeast nutrient to get them energized quicker but I honestly don't believe it'll do you much good.

Just be patient. WL001 is very forgiving.

Agreed should be fine. Lots of people get clean ferments in low 60's with that yeast. With your temp controller at 58, I bet the beer is a degree or two warmer. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't stall. Though with the warmer temps it should finish it off strongly.

If anything, you will have a very clean beer. You shouldn't have any off flavors and as long as the temperature rises slowly, you won't have a problem with it stalling. As was said above, fermentation temperature is about 4 to 5 F higher than the outside of your fermentation vessel.

Don't worry about it. Bring it up to temp. If anything it will just slow things down a bit till it warms up.

Latest posts

Back