Oh yeah, it's yet another infection question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildernessBrewing

Reaction score
Finished up a black IPA a month ago. The longest I usually ferment in primary is 2 weeks before cold crashing. This time, I left the beer in primary for a month. Temp fluctuation was between 60 and 74 over the course of the whole month, but the first week of fermentation took place around 62. I fermented with White Labs California. Just opened the fermenter today to take an FG reading (which was where I expected it to be) and I noticed what I suspect to be an infection. No film or oily webs, but I've attached a picture. Any opinions? Possible infection or just CO2 coming out of suspension. The beer tastes great right now, but I really don't want to infect a keg and/or beer line/tap.

View attachment 1461202288090.jpg

Looks fine to me!

If it smells and tastes fine then odds are you are ok. Not always, but I see no pellicle here.

I've put a couple infected beers through my kegs and lines. I just soak in oxy, rinse with boiling water, and sanitize. It's a great way to slow an infection if caught early and still get your beers in a glass.

I know this comes with a little risk but many of us have done it.

Looks fine to me, just looks like you had some stuff that didn't fall out. If it taste fine bottle/keg it and drink it. :mug:

Back