Oh no!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjasghar

Reaction score
So i brewed last night....
But i think i pitched the yeast at too high a temp....
What do i do?!?!!?

Can i repitch? Or is my wort shot?

it maybe was still at 100...i tried at 80 didnt happen....
do i need more yeast? :-/?

I don't know if yeast can live at 100 or not... if so, it's right on the edge of viability. You may have killed the original yeast pitch, but the sugars are still there ready for another pack of yeast.

I would wait 72 hours since pitching the first batch. If you still don't see any sign that any fermentation has taken place, then go ahead and pitch another packet of yeast.

Just as a remember, airlock activity isn't always the only indicator of fermentation. Always check for krausen or the leftover ring of krausen on the sides of the fermenter when determining if fermentation has taken place. Sometimes bucket lids can leak or aren't sealed all the way, so CO2 could escape through other places than the airlock. Just making sure you're aware. :)

Thalon said:
I would wait 72 hours since pitching the first batch. If you still don't see any sign that any fermentation has taken place, then go ahead and pitch another packet of yeast.

I agree with everything you said, except waiting. If he's pretty sure he killed the yeasties, I'd pitch again as soon as it was the proper temp. Worst case, you're out a few bucks for a 2nd pack. Best case, you get a more aggressive fermentation.

IMHO, an extra yeast pack is cheap insurance against the time and materials wasted if the wort gets infected.

pldoolittle said:
I agree with everything you said, except waiting. If he's pretty sure he killed the yeasties, I'd pitch again as soon as it was the proper temp. Worst case, you're out a few bucks for a 2nd pack. Best case, you get a more aggressive fermentation.

IMHO, an extra yeast pack is cheap insurance against the time and materials wasted if the wort gets infected.

Yeah, good point. Waiting 72 hours with no fermentation activity would confirm that the original yeast pitch is dead, but if you can confirm by other means then yeah keep the contamination risk as low as possible.

EDIT: Check out this thread. It looks like yeast can survive up to 120*F. Maybe you didn't kill them after all. The plot thickens... :)

Back