Oh no the dreaded 1.020

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stvo

Reaction score
I'm sure there are countless threads on this I just didn't want to resurect/hijack someone elses. Here's the story.... I've got about 8 batches under my belt and all were a combination of all extract or steeping grains + extract, some big beers and some session type, all hit final gravity or below. I brewed a IPA on New Years day
1lb steeping grains 1 gal
9lbs LME 3 gal
topped 5 gal total
OG 1.072 pitched 1 vial wlp-001 and rehydrated 1 packet safale us-05
fermenting temp 64-68 degrees
gravity check 1/12 1.022 today 1.022

The question is should I bottle?? Looks clear and everything has fallen and the sample tastes awesome. The last thing I need is bottle bombs! (haven't had one yet) Thanks in advance! Learned so much from this site and still learning.

You're really not far off, sitting at 70% attenuation when reference is 76% or so. It's quite plausible nothing is wrong and everything is good to go. I'd raise the temp to 70 degrees and wait another week before bottling to help conditioning and ferment out another point or two possibly.

You're really not far off, sitting at 70% attenuation when reference is 76% or so. It's quite plausible nothing is wrong and everything is good to go. I'd raise the temp to 70 degrees and wait another week before bottling to help conditioning and ferment out another point or two possibly.

Thanks... I'll try and figure a way to get the temp up, just got through cleaning up, maybe I'll wrap a few beach towels around her

Back