Oh crap, just dumped a half bottle of defoamer into my boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfinleyui

Reaction score
I've got a boil going, and went to put in some de-foamer 105 (10% silicone) from Five Star Chemical to prevent boilovers, and the squirt top popped off, and anywhere from a quarter to a half bottle went into my boil....

what the HECK do i do now? is it poison? do i just filter through a strainer bag?
am i going to kill my wife (the one who requested this particular brew)?

freaking out, thoughts?

Dump it down the drain, apologize to your wife, tell her it happens to the best of us and reorder your ingredients

Dump it down the drain, apologize to your wife, tell her it happens to the best of us and reorder your ingredients

Really, I understood that kettle defoamers are nearly the same compound as infant gas drops, or smethicone sp? and settle out with the yeast leaving nothing in the finished beer.

So 6-8 drops is perfectly safe, yet a half bottle warrants dumping the beer down the drain? I would suggest a little more research before dumping it.

http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/KettleDefoamer105MSDS1.pdf

200 ppm of the defoamer is allowed as the max in food. However defoamer may not stay in suspension in a liquid such as beer.

Continue with your brewing. You may be okay.

You will have time to find out if the defoamer will drop out of suspension. I had seen a post that defoamer in a glass of hot water with soap took care of the suds and then was found stuck to the bottom of the glass after cooling. They weren't to clear on whether or not it was 105 or another defoamer by FiveStar.

There is hope.

I ended up dumping... This was to be the last "pre baby trying" beer, and I don't think I'd ever have been 100% confident that it would be ok... Try again next weekend.

Just a bummer to have to toss 19 pounds of grain and an ounce of Magnum out. Sadface.

I've never used it but, there doesn't appear to be anything harmful in it. I found a post where it says that 1 drop per gallon is what your supposed to use? I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think the worst you've done is wasted half a bottle of your defoamer! :p

I wouldn't dump it out. If you're really worried about it, you might want to plan on using a secondary and rack your beer onto a packet of dissolved gelatin. It might help drop out whatever, is left of the defoamer, out of suspension.

I really don't think it's anything to worry about though.

I used to battle boil overs doing full boils in my 8 gallon kettle. i just kept a spray bottle of water close by, or the hose on mist. If a potential boil over started, i'd spritz it with cool water to lower the surface temperature a tad. It worked like a charm, but required me to keep a constant look out for the first 20 minutes of boil until I got some head room from boil off.

I can proudly say that I never had a bad or off flavor batch.

I ended up dumping... This was to be the last "pre baby trying" beer, and I don't think I'd ever have been 100% confident that it would be ok... Try again next weekend.

Just a bummer to have to toss 19 pounds of grain and an ounce of Magnum out. Sadface.

That was probably a good call, unless someone here could give you 100% assurance it will be fine. Sorry but "it may be okay", "don't think it's anything to worry about" are not worth finding out if what they "think" is wrong.

Whenever dealing with things that have warnings about accidental ingestion and eye contact, I'd be very cautious about exceeding the recommended amount by that much. Also even if the FDA says that 200ppm is allowed in food, that doesn't mean that it' automatically going to be okay when you add way too much into your beer, as that may have different effects, (plus things the FDA has approved have later been found out to be harmful).

Not saying that with any authority, but more of a "don't just listen to people on the internet when it comes to your health and safety", especially with a kid on the way.

Get rid of the defoamer as well, have a spritzer bottle with 2 hydrogens and 1 oxygen so that mistake never happens again

That was probably a good call, unless someone here could give you 100% assurance it will be fine. Sorry but "it may be okay", "don't think it's anything to worry about" are not worth finding out if what they "think" is wrong.

Whenever dealing with things that have warnings about accidental ingestion and eye contact, I'd be very cautious about exceeding the recommended amount by that much. Also even if the FDA says that 200ppm is allowed in food, that doesn't mean that it' automatically going to be okay when you add way too much into your beer, as that may have different effects, (plus things the FDA has approved have later been found out to be harmful).

Not saying that with any authority, but more of a "don't just listen to people on the internet when it comes to your health and safety", especially with a kid on the way.

Yeah... That was about what I ended up thinking. Not worth the risk. I have plenty of base malt on hand, just need to get the specialty and hops again. Oh well. In the two years I've been brewing, this is only the thirs batch that hasn't wound up in my belly, (the other two were awful), so I'll take it with a grain of salt and try better next time.

Back