OG/whirl pool method- I think I'm trying to hard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgarry

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, I have been doing a ton of reading on this forum and decided that I would do the whirlpool method to transfer my wort to fermenting bucket. I was able to leave a ton of hops/grains behind but also left about 1" of the wort and decided to just take the clean stuff. I was doing an IPA with expect OG 1.061. I meased 8.8 brix, converted over to 1.039. I also did a late malt addition at flame out but all was dissolved and per recommendation here, steeped with least about of water (1 gal) and then add 2.5 gal for a total of 3.5 or so for the boil. Should I be concerned? Keep practing whirlpool or just do it my old way via a strainer.

I would be trying to concentrate more on a full boil than the whirlpool. Just check out restaurant depot... that's how I started. I got a 32 QT aluminum stock pot that didn't break the bank. Time is the key for me to a good whirlpool. I stir the crap out of after I get my temp down and pull my chiller. The best result I've had was when I got distracted and it sat for about 40+ minutes. Keep making good FL beer ;-B

Thanks for the reply. Going over it and over it in my head trying to figure out where I messed up. I temp corrected the OG for 88, it was stirred ok after I topped off the water. Obviously, leaving behind some wort effected it. Will stir grains better next time. Only saving grace is I can bill it as a light beer since it should only have about 3% etoh and 60 calories:rockin:

Was at my lhbs and he told me to add another bottle of maltIt was fermenting well before and continues to ferment well. Has anyone done this before

Thanks for the reply. Going over it and over it in my head trying to figure out where I messed up. I temp corrected the OG for 88, it was stirred ok after I topped off the water. Obviously, leaving behind some wort effected it. Will stir grains better next time. Only saving grace is I can bill it as a light beer since it should only have about 3% etoh and 60 calories:rockin:

Um, no it wasn't. It's really hard to stir enough to thoroughly mix the concentrated wort with the top off water. If you used extract and you used the correct amount of water your OG is what the kit or recipe says it is.

RM-MN said:
Um, no it wasn't. It's really hard to stir enough to thoroughly mix the concentrated wort with the top off water. If you used extract and you used the correct amount of water your OG is what the kit or recipe says it is.

Man, wish i would have read this before adding more extract. Ah well. What's the purpose of measuring og if you can't mix it enough to get an accurate reading

Back