OG vs FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackpott71

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at HBing. When I put wort in the fermenting bucket, OG was 1.050. Fourteen days later, on bottling day, it is 1.20

Is this ok? Did I do something wrong? Instructions that came with the kit indicate that it should be closer to the original gravity.

Thanks.

Assuming you meant 1.020, then it might be alright. If the instructions with the kit give a higher number, then you might be alright. Honestly, I would wait a couple days and take the gravity again, to see if it changes at all.

All due respect, you're probably reading it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have to agree with David Trucks, I don't think most hydrometers even go that high. It's at the mark in the image below, right? That's actually 1.020. A little confusing I know, but think of 10-90 as 010-090.

20140704_185323.jpg

Chances are that's very close to where you want to be (1.020). During the brewing process, the yeast eats the sugar and converts it to alcohol and carbon dioxide. This lowers the gravity of the solution (beer). Often instructions might tell you to wait 4-5 days from the day you brew to the day you bottle. That's usually much too soon. Initial fermentation may happen quickly, but it can take more time for the yeast to eat the remainder of the fermentable sugars, making the gravity creep slowly down over number of days.

Most home brewers wait at least 10-14 before even taking a gravity reading. Best advice I've ever been given is to wait 3 weeks before bottling - this gives the yeast plenty of time to do their work, gives the beer plenty of time of clear, and definitely gives the beer a much nicer taste when it's aged a little bit like that.

Only getting down to 1.020 in two weeks makes me think yo under-pitched, or it stalled. It should be lower by now.My Irish red started at 1.061 & got down to 1.014 with S-04 yeast.

Is it an extract batch? Assuming so based on previous posts.

Extract batches often finish higher than expected. You don't have control over the mashing, so you can't control fermentability.

Check gravity in a few days. If it's still the same, bottle it.

Welcome to the fun, Jack! I think it's probably done but, as others have said, give it another week to "clean itself up". My first few brews with kits all ended around 1.018-1.020 and they were all fine. I think part of it is that the yeast pack in a kit is usually less than the amount you get if you buy yeast separately (5 or 6g vs 11g).

For your next kit, try using Safale US-05 (American styles) or S-04 (English) instead of the kit yeast. Another easy trick is once you have the wort in the fermenter but before you add the yeast, put the lid (or stopper) on securely and shake the s**t out of it intermittently for about 10 minutes. This will oxygenate the wort a bit, which the yeasties love. You will get a good head of foam. Then just pitch the yeast, seal it up with an air lock and let it go.

It depends on the kit as to what type/size yeast you get. Cooper's gives 7g, Munton's & some other can-n-kilo kits give 6g. The better quality kits are the normal size packets. Cooper's ale yeast also comes in the biggest packet of all, 15g! Get'em from Midwest & NB that I've seen.

Back