OG variance from kit!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasolhe

Reaction score
First ever brew was Brewers Best IPA, not bad
Round 2 = lemon coriander weiss
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/lemon-coriander-weiss.html
OG on box said 1.067
My OG reading was 1.051
-made improvements in my process over 1st run
-paying more attention to things like why is my OG off?

? This means my beer will be less than the 6.7 % shown on box correct?
Wondering why, reading my Hydrometer sheet looks like if predicting correctly mine will end up around 4.7% ... just wondering why - i followed instructions to a tee- and when ranges were given for steeping i picked the middle...now there were slight remnants in the LME bottles that i couldn't get out, just a little - could that be the difference?

Also - don't tell anyone but 1st batch my big mistake was breaking my hydrometer - *******. 2nd batch my big mistake was spilling some crushed grains into waste basket when pouring into steep bag...good thing was it was a new garbage sack - yeah for garbage day... was able to scoop back the spillage but may have missed an ounce at most...

Once again - start to finish - day 1 of brew making took 4 hrs 15 minutes to complete...so much time - i'm tempted to make 2 x 5 gallon batches at the same time...

Hoping for a good shocktop lemon clone here - still deciding on how much lemon shavings to add.

Peace out

First ever brew was Brewers Best IPA, not bad
Round 2 = lemon coriander weiss
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/lemon-coriander-weiss.html
OG on box said 1.067
My OG reading was 1.051
-made improvements in my process over 1st run
-paying more attention to things like why is my OG off?

? This means my beer will be less than the 6.7 % shown on box correct?
Wondering why, reading my Hydrometer sheet looks like if predicting correctly mine will end up around 4.7% ... just wondering why - i followed instructions to a tee- and when ranges were given for steeping i picked the middle...now there were slight remnants in the LME bottles that i couldn't get out, just a little - could that be the difference?

Also - don't tell anyone but 1st batch my big mistake was breaking my hydrometer - *******. 2nd batch my big mistake was spilling some crushed grains into waste basket when pouring into steep bag...good thing was it was a new garbage sack - yeah for garbage day... was able to scoop back the spillage but may have missed an ounce at most...

Once again - start to finish - day 1 of brew making took 4 hrs 15 minutes to complete...so much time - i'm tempted to make 2 x 5 gallon batches at the same time...

Hoping for a good shocktop lemon clone here - still deciding on how much lemon shavings to add.

Peace out

This is an extract kit which means you CAN'T miss the OG. You just didn't mix the top off water into the boiled wort. Relax have a cold drink and everything will be just fine.

This is an extract kit which means you CAN'T miss the OG. You just didn't mix the top off water into the boiled wort. Relax have a cold drink and everything will be just fine.

^^^ Very true, and just to be sure test your hydrometer!!! Distilled water at 60*F should read 1.000

Warming your LME before adding it to your wort can help get more of the syrup out of the bottle. Don't forget to rinse the bottle out thoroughly with about a cup of hot water. If you aren't doing this you will be missing a couple points of gravity. Also, make sure you're final volumes are accurate. 5.5 gallons can make an impact if you planned for only 5.

Latest posts

Back