OG too low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbanhermit

Reaction score
I just brewed a batch of basic hefeweizen. I used Wheat LME 8#. I was looking for a OG of at least .050+. Mine came in at .031. How did I not get enough sugar in the wort?

Did you top up with water in the fermenter.

It's easy to get a skewed reading if the wort and water haven't mixed well when the sample is taken for gravity reading.

With 8lbs of wheat LME you're not going to have an OG that low unless you have diluted it down to 6.5 gallons ish

For a 5 gallon batch meaurement error explains it. (Not completely mixed in the fermentor.)

Was the sample properly mixed before you took your gravity sample? Maybe you had a water-heavy sample, if it was not a full boil. Also, the temperature of the sample can impact the gravity reading as well. Was the sample close to 60 degrees? If so, the reading should have been good, as long as your hydrometer still works. If you yielded 5 gallons of wort and used all the extract, the gravity has to be close to the target OG.

Your wort wasn't mixed well enough or your temp was too high for the hydrometer (most are calibrated at 60°). There is a calculator here for temp corrections:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/

OR... you didn't calculate your volumes correctly. But, if you did, then my bet is on the wort not being mixed with the top-off water well enough. If your volumes were on, then your OG will be what you calculated. Ignore the reading.

Back