OG reading help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speeddemon190

Reaction score
ok so Ive officially completed the first brew ever. Irish red ale. The hydrometer reading I got was 1.040 @ 70 degrees. the paper scale states that if its not taken at 60degrees then you need to make adjustments to the reading. But when I looked at the Brix for 60 degrees and the adjustment calculations none of it made real sense to me. Can anyone here tell me what my new reading should be and how you got the adjusted reading based on temp?

The basic idea is that water becomes less dense at higher temperatures (and below 4C, interestingly enough), and gravity is a measure of density compared to 60F water, so you have to adjust down.

The adjustment in gravity at 70F compared to 60F is virtually irrelevant, however, so don't worry about it. If you read 1.040 at 70F, then the actual gravity is 1.041.

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/hydrometer.html?15952897

If you have an Android phone, there's an app I have called "Pocket Brewer" that has about 15 brewing calculators, including temperature adjustment for gravity readings. I'm sure there is something comparable on iPhone as well.

The basic idea is that water becomes less dense at higher temperatures (and below 4C, interestingly enough), and gravity is a measure of density compared to 60F water, so you have to adjust down.

The adjustment in gravity at 70F compared to 60F is virtually irrelevant, however, so don't worry about it. If you read 1.040 at 70F, then the actual gravity is 1.041.

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/hydrometer.html?15952897

If you have an Android phone, there's an app I have called "Pocket Brewer" that has about 15 brewing calculators, including temperature adjustment for gravity readings. I'm sure there is something comparable on iPhone as well.

Thats great, I found the app. thanks for everyones help. Ill let everyone know what my FG is before I bottle. For my first brew I think it went pretty smooth.. hopefully it will turn out like I think it will.

Latest posts

Back