OG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeaster

Reaction score
Hey all.....I just brewed an IPA using 5.5 lbs golden light DME and 3.3 lbs golden light LME. I expected an OG of about 1.070 and got 1.030. Any ideas why its so low?

You didn't shake up or thoroughly stir your fermentor after adding water. You measured the gravity of the top layer, which is mostly water, and some beer.

One thing about extract brews is that gravity is very calculable from the sugars you added.

Thanks Island... Its a 5 gallon beer in a 6 gallon carboy. I shook it as i was adding water to airate well then put the cap on a tipped it on its side a few times. Would i need to mix more. I did take the sample from the top.

Yeaster said:
Thanks Island... Its a 5 gallon beer in a 6 gallon carboy. I shook it as i was adding water to airate well then put the cap on a tipped it on its side a few times. Would i need to mix more. I did take the sample from the top.

It is exceptionally difficult to thoroughly mix it up - no matter how good a job you think you did, it probably still isn't mixed well. However, with extract, as long as you are confident in your volume, your OG will be right where it is expected to be. A known quantity of extract dissolved in a known volume of water will yield a known OG.

I'm not sure if this is the best way or even safe. It is effective though...

When handling carboys, I always work on a layer of thick towels. Never have them directly contact the floor.

When I'm at 5 gallons, I re-sanitize the neck with Starsan and put a sanitized stopper on the carboy. I kneel in front of the carboy, and cradle it sideways on my lap. Then holding the neck clamping the stopper, I shake the carboy sideways with a rocking motion. This aerates and mixes up the wort. After a minute shaking I put it upright, spray Starsan around the stopper, and open it, hopefully to let some more air in. I repeat this 1 more time.

Back