OG on partial boil ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheArmada

Reaction score
I'm a fairly small-time brewer and I was wondering how one would go about the following situation:

I'm boiling 5 liters of water (wort) and adding 5 liters of water as a base to my carboy. Of course I am doing everything as if my wort was 10 liters.

My question is what would be the best way to register Original Gravity in this situation ? Will taking OG on the 5 liters wort be accurate enough even if I am pouring it into 5 additional liters afterwards ?

I ask because I don't wish to take a sample out of my carboy once all 10 liters are in for risk of contamination.

Thank you in advance.

Yes if you're volumes are accurate you can take the OG of your 5 liters and divide the gravity points by 2. But if it's an extract batch you can pretty much just go with the calculated OG, again if your volumes are on.

I'm confused. Are you doing 2 batches of 5 litre wort or 5 liters of concentrated wort and will top off with water?

Either ways the answer is the same. Take a reading of each and average the result.

If you are topping off with then assume the water is 1.000.

I'm a fairly small-time brewer and I was wondering how one would go about the following situation:

I'm boiling 5 liters of water (wort) and adding 5 liters of water as a base to my carboy. Of course I am doing everything as if my wort was 10 liters.

My question is what would be the best way to register Original Gravity in this situation ? Will taking OG on the 5 liters wort be accurate enough even if I am pouring it into 5 additional liters afterwards ?

I ask because I don't wish to take a sample out of my carboy once all 10 liters are in for risk of contamination.

Thank you in advance.

How would talking a sample of wort out of the carboy risk contamination? I'm not sure how that would happen, and I'd venture a guess to say that the vast majority of brewers and winemakers DO take samples of their completed wort.

Back