OG off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illomenbrewery

Reaction score
I did my first all grain batch today but missed my OG by a good margin. My recipe said I should have an OG of 1.052 but I hit closer to 1.025. I already pitched the yeast and my FG should be 1.010. Since I missed my starting gravity by so much will this batch come out ok? I am guessing that my alcohol content will probably be skewed, but what will the missed gravity do to the batch?

SMASH Saison

10.5 lbs 2 row pale malt
6.8 AAU Saaz (60 mins)
Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saision

mash temp 150 degrees for 60 mins
75 min boil with 1 addition of hops at 60 mins
wort chilled to 72 degrees and yeast was pitched

Did you account for the temperature of the wort when you took your gravity reading?

My preboil volume was 6.5 gallons and had about 4.5 gallons in fermentor. i mashed with about 4.5 gallons at 165 degrees. i then batch sparged until i got the 6.5 gallon pre boil volume. but now that i think of it my readings could be way off because it probably wasnt the right temperature.

My preboil volume was 6.5 gallons and had about 4.5 gallons in fermentor. i mashed with about 4.5 gallons at 165 degrees. i then batch sparged until i got the 6.5 gallon pre boil volume. but now that i think of it my readings could be way off because it probably wasnt the right temperature.

You are probably right about the reading being way off, that is the most likely explanation, after seeing your grain bill and process. Even if your efficiency was on the low side the OG would not have been off by more than a few points.

Latest posts

Back