OG of 1.056 + 1%ABV Boost =?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMasta

Reaction score
Here is my question, I recently brewed a AHS Budget Pale ale with an expected OG of 1.056, we added the 1% ABV booster that AHS offers, however, unfortunatly, because we did not take an OG reading im at a loss for figuring out the FG. Using the OG from above and adding a 1% ABV boost what would my true OG actually be? Would it be 1.066? Is there a calcutation for this that I can use in the future? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. :mug:

Dextrose sugar yields about 46 points per pound per gallon. So if you have a 5-gallon batch and add one pound, that yields 46/5=9.2 points.

Is corn sugar the same, and what would 9.2 points translate to based on my expected OG? I don't quit have a full grasp on reading a hydrometer yet. Can you explain further please.

ask Austin Homebrew....they sold you the corn sugar....er, I mean "1% alcohol booster" to you in the first place...

1 lb would add 9 pts to your gravity reading so 1.056 to 1.065.

Just have to reverse the calculation for estimating ABV in your final beer which is

%ABV = (OG-FG) * 131

It's the difference in your initial and final gravity readings that gets multiplied by 131 to determine ABV, right? So, to calculate the # to tack on to your initial OG, just do this:

1%ABV = x * 131

x = 1/131

x= .0076

Then add that number to expected OG:

1.056 + .0076 = ~1.064

Thanks, these responses have been very helpful I should be able to calculate my FG properly from here.

Back