OG measurement without discarding the sample

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luizffgarcia

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have one doubt you can probably help me with, i brew 1 gallon batches so wasting the sample for measuring the OG is something i want to avoid.

I figured i can sanitize the testing tube and the hydrometer and pour some of the wort there after i finish transferring to my primary, and after that pour the sample back into the primary and add the yeast.

There will be a lot of oxygen and splashing involved, but my conclusion is, before adding the yeast that is not a problem, it is actually good.

Is my conclusion correct? Do you guys think this is an OK thing to do?

Thanks

Hi guys,

I have one doubt you can probably help me with, i brew 1 gallon batches so wasting the sample for measuring the OG is something i want to avoid.

I figured i can sanitize the testing tube and the hydrometer and pour some of the wort there after i finish transferring to my primary, and after that pour the sample back into the primary and add the yeast.

There will be a lot of oxygen and splashing involved, but my conclusion is, before adding the yeast that is not a problem, it is actually good.

Thanks

Yes you are correct. No problems doing what you describe.

Refractometer is something I would highly recommend when brewing with one gallon. It only takes a couple drops to take a reading before fermentation starts. After alcohol is present, a calculator is needed, but still a handy tool.

What he said. Also, with a refractometer you don't have to worry about cooling down your gravity sample because the wort is at the temperature of the refractometer.

Refractometer is something I would highly recommend when brewing with one gallon. It only takes a couple drops to take a reading before fermentation starts. After alcohol is present, a calculator is needed, but still a handy tool.

This is what I did when I brewed 2.5g batches. I used both the Sean Terrill calculator and the one on Northern Brewer's site. I know its not exact and more of a ballpark but in my opinion it gets you close enough and saves a lot of the wort.

Prior to getting a refractometer I just did what you were proposing, sanitizing everything and carefully pouring it back in and I zero issues with that.

EDIT: I didn't read closely enough and failed to notice you were just talking about measuring OG. I don't see any issue with that either.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Thanks
Are you brewing with extract or all grain. The OG can be calculated for extract brewing or will be as stated in the recipe if your volume is correct.

Are you brewing with extract or all grain. The OG can be calculated for extract brewing or will be as stated in the recipe if your volume is correct.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am brewing BIAB, i know what my OG should be but i am not sure how good is my efficiency as i am just starting with BIAB moving from extract.

I just tried a 1.068 which turned out 1.062 so not too bad for the first attempt :)

Back