OG hydro sample question bubbling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jturman35

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just brewed a RIS Sunday and when I finished I took my OG reading and left it sitting out on the garage counter. This afternoon I came home and found it appears to be fermenting? The only problem is where did the yeast come from? This is a first for me.

IMG_2965.JPG
IMG_2965.JPG

My only guess is some left over beer/yeast in the hydro sample from a previous beer? I don’t worry with cleaning it because it never makes it back into the beer.

Another explanation is that a wild yeast or other infection either got into your main batch, or just into your sample. 2 days at warm temps is enough for fermentation to take hold. Did you clean and sanitize that hydrometer jar before adding your wort?

That's why pitching a healthy yeast and a decent amount is important to prevent other bugs from taking a foothold before your yeast does.

No, i didn’t clean the hydro sample tube other than just rinsing it with water.

On the other hand the RIS in the conical is currently down to 1.055 from 1.110 in 48hrs according to my tilt. I’m praying it’s not infected, I’m leaning on a dirty hydro sample tube. I cleaned the conical with how PBW and them let soak in starsan overnight.

Last edited:
You must have pitched a good amount of yeast for it to drop so fast. Using a form of temp control?

Now with high gravity beers, getting the last 20% down that's the real trick, the first 80% not so much. ;)

Latest posts

Back