Off taste predictions/ Imperial Russian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCBrew

Reaction score
Here's the deal: I brewed a Stone Imperial Russian Stout clone, partial mash, a tad high on the OG (1.102 going for 1.096) but probably hit it by decanting my full 3.5 liter starter of WYeast 1968 into it.

Anyway I got it to 68'F prior to pitching, and have been trying temp control using a water bath that submerges the carboy above the level of the beer. Unfortunately I am gone for 8-10 hours during the day. The temp control has been rising to about 72'F during the days, I think due to the massive fermentation and the heat it is generating. Anyway, what do you guys predict will happen here? Am I going to get too many fruity esters, hot alcohol? or will the healthy yeast pitch from the nice starter and the low original pitch temp (not 64'F, but as low as I could get it) carry the day and give me a clean beer?

FYI
10# pale malt extract
1.25# roast barly
1.25# black patent
2# Brown
1# US 2 row

3oz Warrior at 60min

3.5 liter starter of WYeast 1968

Pitched at 68'F 8am Day 1
70'F 8pm Day 1 (add ice water + ice) small krausen
70'F 8am Day 2 (add ice water + ice) larger krausen
72'F 8pm Day 2 (add ice water + ice) massive krausen
70'F 8am Day 3 (add ice water + ice) 2 inch krausen

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not super high temp for the English Ale strain. Plus, if there is any style that can cover up the extra fruitiness you might get, it would be RIS. You have 1.25 lb of roasted barley and 1.25 lb of black malt! And how many IBU?

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. I've had great success with this type of temp control, but I was caught unawares by 1) the massive heat generated by this fermentation 2) I haven't used this set up in the summer (in KS) where 180$ monthly AC gets you about 78-82'F throughout the day this summer...

With a high gravity beer like this, hot alcohols are a risk at any elevated temp. 72 may not be that big of a deal, but I would be much more comfortable if I kept the temp lower than that, especially during the first 3-4 days.

You will probably be fine. As the other guy said, 72 is in range, but the higher the gravity, the higher the risk for hot alcohols.

I was hoping to keep it below 70, but I was caught off guard. I am now using 2 liter bottles frozen over night and taking a gallon or so of 70' water out and replacing with ice water. I am looking forward to the day I have a electric ferm control set-up.

I tasted it 1 week in when I did the gravity check, it is at 1.034 and tastes pretty nice so far. Do you guys have experience about how long I should expect it to take to get down to 1.02, or do you think it will hang around 1.03 and fermentation is finished?

1.102 is going to take some time.

You may have tasted hot alcohols by now if they were present. I'd continue to keep it cool even though I think you are past the danger zone.

I would definately plan on this taking at least 4-6 weeks to ferment and condition.

Ok, another question on this guy. The fermentation seems to be 'stalled', at 1.034. I checked twice 7 days apart with no budge. Having said that, it tastes great to my palate and lacking carbonation.

The question I have is whether it would be worth dropping in a safale 0-5 or other dry yeast to push it over to 1.02 or just go ahead and bottle it as is (after another week of conditioning or whatever)?

The concern I have is that I can't differentiate between the alcohol being right at the limit of the 1968 (1.102-->1.034 = 8.93% ABV, 1968 limit at 9%...), or whether the remaining .014 (1.034-1.020...) points are simply unfermentable sugars hanging out.

Hot alcohols and a huge bundle of flavor compounds are produced in the first 2 or three days. Early on is really where it matters. As mentioned it really depends on the strain. It's good that you pitched low instead of pitching at 72 and still letting it climb 4 degrees. Give it a taste.

Yeah, I think the flavor of the beer is quite nice actually, keeping it down helped out. I am wondering whether I should try to add a second, higher alcohol tolerance ale yeast to try to finish it, or whether to just go ahead and bottle after letting it sit. The current gravity hasn't budged in a full week.

I'd rouse the yeast (gently rock the carboy) and give it 3-4 days, take a gravity reading. If you're still at the same gravity, it's done, bottle, wait, drink. 1.034 is a bit high but you need that body to balance out the beer with an RIS.

Back