off taste after kegerator failure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SleepyCreekBrews

Reaction score
Hey Y'all,
About 2 weeks ago, my kegerator failed with 2 tapped kegs in it ...course they got warm ...I had no other fridge to put 'em in so I untapped the kegs and sanitized the tops of the kegs and put some plastic wrap on the top ...it took two weeks to get the kegerator repaired, so when I got it back I cleaned everything again , chilled the kegs and tapped 'em. the beer has an off taste now. both the brown ale and the IPA have that taste ... :confused:

ideas?, explanations?

The kegged beer should be fine. I think your problem is in the beer lines, faucets and fittings. Clean them thoroughly. 15 minute re-circulation with caustic line cleaner, followed by an acid wash and then rinse, or rip everything apart and physically clean everything.
Bull

sour is the major characteristic ....

this morning I backflushed from the tap back through the lines using oxy-clean for 15 mins and then a rinse w/ clean water then ran the tap for a pint or so....the brown ale seems better, but the IPA definitely has a sour taste ...sour enough to throw off the IPAs hop taste (60 IBU)

Hmmm, I'm drinking the IPA right now and it tastes pretty good.
...maybe I didn't clean well enough the other day when I got it back .

Just wanted to followup again on this because a few days after I recleaned it, the issue returned ....I put up with it for a while, and then decided to replace the beer lines from the coupler to the faucet ...and the off taste and smell disappeared. Hard to imagine what might have happened to the lines when it was repaired, but evidently they picked up something that oxyclean couldn't flush.
thanks for all the suggestions.

Back