Odwalla Superfood Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricBlair

Reaction score
I just had the idea of fermenting Odwalla Superfood; at the very least, it would be interesting to serve a green wine. I'm sure no one has done this on HBT, but I'm new to wine and would appreciate any advice.

Here's the ingredient list: apple juice, peach, mango, strawberry and banana purees, spirulina, soy lecithin, ascorbic acid, wheat grass, barley grass, wheat sprouts, Jerusalem artichoke, lemon bioflavonoids and Nova Scotia dulse.

I have some concerns. First, Odwalla makes thick drinks. Would this be an issue? I figure that if the gravity is too high, I can just dilute it (although this would preclude increasing the alcohol content with additional sugar).

Second, will the secondary ingredients (i.e. the spirulina and all the grasses) interfere with the fermentation or produce undesired flavors? Even when fresh, the stuff has a fair amount of sediment so should I filter the juice or just leave it into I transfer the wine to the secondary fermenter?

Also, is the pectin content a concern? I've juiced apples before for wine without using pectin enzyme and didn't have any issues.

Lastly, Odwalla is flash pasteurized which SnickASaurusRex mentioned as posing a higher risk of infection. I'll just make sure to use Campden, but I'm curious if anyone else has experience with this.

I drink it sometimes when I don't have my own juice (the stuff is expensive). I really don't see the appeal as an alcoholic drink. Have you tried mixing it with alcohol yet to see if you'd like it? My concern would be the soy, and I'm not sure if I'd be too keen on artichoke. As for sediment, you shouldn't have a problem with it if you filter it after the fermentation is complete. Again, soy raises some questions in my mind...

Have you looked at kiwi wines?

If you are that curious. You may want to figure out the pH and adjust to your yeasts likings. Then dilute (and possibly filter the mixture) and bump its OG with dextrose.

Honestly I would make my own with just the first 5 ingredients. Since you have a lot of things that can spoil in that ingredient list.

I say screw it and try a 1 gallon batch! But that's just me, I've made a couple weird brews. I certainly wouldn't spend enough to make a big batch not knowing how it will turn out with so many unknowns (grass and soy etc)

I'd be concerned about the soy lecithin, I don't think it's fermentable to begin with, but it might also go rancid and/or break down into some gummy nastiness. I'll have to admit I am curious as to the taste of fermented spiulina & wheat grass, but honestly I don't think it would taste good at all. If you decide to try this, keep us posted. Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back